ww kayak for big guy

It would have sharp handling and
good speed. Probably not as forgiving as a Pirouette, but much more Porsche like in its handling. I really wanted one, but even after extracting most of the cockpit outfitting and the bulkhead, I was too tightly shoehorned into the cockpit for long term comfort. Also, the best weight for the Athlete is about 175, with a top practical weight of about 200, so it really can’t handle my current weight (220). Even my Animas is a bit overloaded at that weight.

Wave sport Godzilla
I am inexperienced in ww kayaking, though I’ve been paddling rec and sea kayaks for about five years. I bought a Wavesport Godzilla from a neighbor because the price was right. I bought it late in the fall, and only had a few chances to take it out yet. But I would say that it would fit a person your husband’s size pretty well. The guy I bought it from was bigger than that. Disco’s comments about an aggressive lean forward being required seem like very good advice for this rookie. I have found that if I’m not careful, it will do an unintended 180 on me. It did not come with a backband, and I got one for Christmas. Just installed it, and it appears this will keep me leaning further forward.

In any case, on the issue of fit, the Wavesport Godzilla should fit well. If you find one cheap, it may be the way to go.

Pay no attention to G2d…

He’s a friend of mine and, therefore, completely unreliable.

Wait.

You’re a friend of mine also.

Geeze I get so confused.

What’s the latest on the Chopper?

latest on Chopper
Hi Rick,

If I could help Doug with the 6.5 hour drive (each way) it would be easier, but with Sherlock needing meds every 6 hours, Doug would have to do go alone and I don’t much like that.

We told the Chopper guy we want it, but need to work out the details of getting it here. Rich (DCC) might be going to Bryson City next weekend and if so, Chopper guys says he’s “always up for a trip to the Nanty” so if those two can hook up, it makes it a heck of a lot easier on us. I told Rich I’d be happy to compensate him - with plenty of Ron’s beer. LOL

The Chopper (with no center pillar) should allow enough leg room for him, and it’s a fairly long boat… I’m optimistic that we can get it here and that it will be a good fit for him.

Thoughts?

Donna

Sounds good…
…maybe I could breakaway and go along with him.

Let’s see what happens and maybe I can work it out.

Fitting advice
I looked at the same options, on paper, and tested a few in the showroom. For comparison, I’m 6’3", 230ish (lost some, gained some, trying to lose more, thus the “ish”), 40 waist, long legs.

I found all the Prijon models you mentioned to be a real tight fit for my wide backside and the deck cut into my thighs badly on the Chopper. The Embudo was the closest to fitting. I couldn’t get my hands on a Dagger Mambo 8.5, so no comment on it. I didn’t try the Jacksons because I was specifically interested in a creek or all-around boat and the Jackson’s I looked at were mostly play boats.

I selected and purchased a Diesel 75. I fit in pretty easily and found that after sitting in it for a while actually became MORE comfortable rather than less. I haven’t had much opportunity to paddle it, but have enjoyed the few times I’ve been out.

I wouldn’t worry much about him not liking the boating if you purchase a used boat because you’ll likely be able to sell a boat for close to what you paid for it and not be out too much in the long run.

Remember to set aside a bit for a decent paddle and PFD and helmet.

• Big D