WW kayak on calmer waters?

Look for older down river boats
You can find boats like the Necky Jive for around $300, it came in an 8’ 2" and 8’ 10" models. I’ve used mine for coastal paddles a lot. Yes it’s slow, but if you are not paddling with a fast group it’s fun boat to play in features on streams and rivers and ocean. Some of the old school whitewater boats that are 9’ or 3 meters are actually pretty decent on flat water.

What I like about the Jive is I can just throw it in my car (Xterra, Prius, Outback) and take off, it takes 2 minutes to get ready to go paddling. Just drain and dry it off with a towel when you get done and throw it back in your car. You can work on moving water skills and rolling and bracing in a real kayak.

Jackson Hero
That boat is officially a creeker, which means more volume and slightly more going straight than a play boat or a river runner. The Fun is river runner/play mix I think but I could be off on that.

FWIW, a lot of folks in beginner whitewater classes who are greyer of hair get put into creekers because they are a good compromise between stability and maneuverability. They get knocked around by current less easily than a play boat, are less likely to capsize at a sneeze and even usually have space in there for wearing shoes. My older river runner fits me fine for the class 2/teeny class 3 I am likely to do, but the only thing I can get in there is neoprene socks. If you start your WW time in a creeker you will be right on the trend.

Well I did it

– Last Updated: May-12-15 6:59 PM EST –

I bought the Jackson Hero. It's a 2011 model and picked it up for $300.

First trip to the local lake was horrible. I couldn't go straight for more than a few feet. I'd paddle and paddle and paddle and couldn't make it straighten out. I'd finally straighten it out and out of no where make a 180 turn....lol

My first thoughts were what have I done? Wasted my time, money...sigh.

I ended up going for swim when over taken by waves from a passing ski boat while I was trying to lean to make my turn. It was brutal. Lots a good pair of sunglasses.

The yak needed a bath anyway and it gave me an opportunity to use my hand bilge pump.

Second trip was short and not much better. Very frustrating.

Refusing to give up I started reading and watching as many videos I could find on technique, posture, etc...

Learning the difference between a forward stroke and a correction stroke made a huge difference.

Third trip to the lake was a lot more enjoyable.

It may not be ideal for flatwater, but it made me research and learn. All things considered, I'm happy with my purchase.

If the weather cooperates we're heading to the river in a couple of weeks. (Class I & II+)

Thanks again for all the replies!

some tips to help out:

– Last Updated: May-12-15 9:18 PM EST –

upright posture, head up, looking ahead, think about vertical paddle strokes parallel to the boat, hands don't extend over the center axis of the boat, upper torso rotates- it takes practice

make sure you have a good snug fit in the boat- it makes a big difference, if the boat's backband ratchets up then do so to help with posture, make sure the balls of your feet/shoes are on the bulkhead

its okay to take more than one stroke on a given side of the boat if needed, and its okay to struggle a bit, you're in a boat that is designed to turn quickly, it will take some practice to get it to go straight

typical beginners use less vertical strokes, curving outward from the boat (almost like a sweep), and often extend the stroke well beyond the hip- in general they need to get more vertical and parallel and shorten their strokes up to paddle straight.

Thanks
Thanks tdaniel.

Something I forgot to mention is originally I was using a paddle that was way to long causeing me to sweep more. That had a lot to do with me being all over the place. Finding my comfortable seating position helped. I was in way to tight the first 2 times out as well.

need to be snug but comfortable-
no fun paddling in pain or discomfort

last weeks practice session- “boaters helping boaters”

we spent 90% of our time working on paddle strokes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tasx8o0Hf7M

Enjoyed
the video. I think I need to pay attention to my back stroke as it feels more natural and I tend to have better control in reverse.

paddling ww boat straight
Sit up straight or slight forward lean. No reclining.

High-angle stroke. Keep the blade close to the boat. This may require a shorter paddle.

Reach forward and start the stroke by your toes. Don’t pull past your hip.

Short quick strokes instead of long slow ones.

Head up, look ahead. Make small corrections as soon as the bow starts to move off line. The turn will accelerate if you wait.

It does get easier with practice. Once you get comfortable paddling a whitewater boat straight, a rec or sea kayak will feel like it’s on rails.

good stuff!
spot on.

I’m getting there
Fortunately for me I can follow instruction well and find it easy to learn from video’s as well. My last outing I was basically doing what your recommending.

Jumped into the rec yak before leaving the lake and was like wow, that’s cheating…lol. Honestly think the hero will make a better kayaker out of me.

Thanks for tnfo!

I know, old thread. I’m curious if anyone has used an old WW boat like this on the flats before. Am curious how it would track.

It’s 14’ long

will track well for a ww boat, the kind of boat that “holds a line” or is “point and shoot”
here’s an old video of me on middle cranberry in a river chaser (hollowform), I’ve shared this video before so my apologies to the regulars but it is the only hollowform footage I have.