WW paddle for surf and rocks?

Depends on who you are talking to
Technically, yes, for experienced paddlers, a full forward sweep is a forward sweep + a stern draw. But common parlance and what is taught to beginners is that the forward sweep is the full forward sweep. More to the point, turning a, say, 18 foot sea kayak is more likely to require a full forward sweep. I can’t remember the last time I needed a full forward sweep in a WW boat. Your position seems to imply that paddling a WW boat is the same ss paddling a sea kayak, which we both know is not true. The names of the strokes may be constant across disciplines, although that may be a theoretical desire rather than an empirical reality, but the use of strokes differs in WW and sea kayaking.

The only disadvantage
I’ve encountered using the WW paddle with the sea kayak is that sometimes I find myself paddling into a strong head-wind and it would be a nice option to be able to adjust the paddle feather to 90 degrees.

Bob

it…
soundz crowded…pony, rider and boat.

steve

yep
it sure does depend who you talk to.

this ACA Instructor Trainer Educator in advanced open coast kayak AND advanced whitewater kayak teaches ‘em the SAME.

6’ or 18’ boat the physics and bio-mechanics are identical.

steve