XL man buying first real kayak.

“floating lounge chair” customers…
… make up the bulk of the market.

All that you say is dead right, for the minority who paddle to paddle (and do so at over 3 knot average and/or over 10 miles or more at a sitting - no stops, not setting out to stretch ever couple miles, no scheduled lunch breaks unless and all day paddle, etc).

What’s comfortable while floating/lily dipping is quite different from what works for more active paddling.

I sit on a bare seat pan and have ww style small backband placed as low as I can get it - and try to be off it more than on.

3-4 hours at a fair pace in this kayak and I’ll be a bit tired, but no comfort issues and I hop out more flexible than I got in.

After just an hour or so of lily dipping/group pace I get stiff/sore and almost need help getting out. No wonder some folks need butt pads and high seat backs - and cup holders - and kayak kickstands…

I agree some folks should not shop based on stock cockpit outfitting - but sad fact is most have to as they don’t paddle hard enough or frequently enough to determine what customizing to do, or won’t/can’t do it anyway. The majority are doing paddling that more suited to La-Z-Boy gizmo/cushiony style outfitting.

Hi Greyak
Yeah, you know what I’m talkin’ about. Hope you are doing well, wherever you are paddling these days.

I’ve been very busy over the last year selling sail, power and fishing boats. Paddling season should get started here in S.E. CT in a couple months. Right now the Mystic River tidal basin (just outside my window) is frozen all the way across! This is most unusual with the strong currents and salinity.

Every now and then I pop into P.net to express my performance-paddling opinion. My goal is to hopefully get the masses to realize there is so much more sea kayak performance available to anyone who wants it. And it is so much closer to their current level than they realize. All it takes is the right attitude and the sense to buy the right equipment as their first boat.

Doubling average speed and tripling range is simply a matter of making smart equipment choices and learning the right technique. Unfortunately, most shops and paddling schools only briefly discuss this with their clients.

I know. I’m preaching to the choir. One of these days we may just hook up for a paddle. Let me know if you are ever out this way.

Thread killers!
Talking about this stuff is a pretty quick way to kill a thread. The only thing faster is starting threads about stuff like this! L

While I realize the gear’s potential, I’m far for realizing my own! Doubt I’d keep up with you. Maybe if I drop 40 and paddle “grace” and keep you on a 700…

So far I paddle in that in-between region where I’m going a bit faster/farther than most care to, but slower than anyone who does so for fitness/racing interest.

If I ever get up that way I’ll look you up. I have a sister in Niantic I haven’t seen for a LONG time.

I’d go easy on you
Greyak,

Your right about the thread killers. I don’t care. I will just keep plugging along even if its just to hear myself talk. Ha. You are always there with a response though. Do you automatically get an email when I post something or do you read every single thread here? Maybe you are just interested in the same subjects as me.

Niantic is right here! I live in Waterford, immediately East of Niantic. There are some great places to paddle around here. Definitely look me up if you are in the area.

I just ordered a new carbon QCC700 today and will keep the ol’ whippy Kevlar model around for friends. Or if you want you can paddle the secret machine, but its without coaming and no bulkheads either, so kinda risky.

Did you know Phil is no longer with QCC? I had an interesting chat with Steve today, but better to keep that stuff offline.

So yeah, I’ve got equipment, just bring paddling clothes. It would be fun. I am overweight too. I really do not peak out until late July/August. Then I kinda burn out going into September. So am ready to put it away for the winter.

Try Prijon Kodiak
I would suggest to try Prijon Kodiak. Its cockpit is large and it will haul much gear. It is also quite fast to be plastic kayak. Prijons plastic is also quite durable.

Pete