Yak color for fishing

color
Swampthing, I’m not sure what color I will get now. I will most likely fish in freash water creeks and the rivers, but I am thinking I would enjoy fishing in our salt water sound, and maybe even the ocean, if it is calm. I read an article out of a book that the author said color did make a difference, but many others say not.

If color makes a diffrence, its not
going to make much if any if you are throwing baits and lures 30 ft or more from the kayak. The difference, if any, is going to be for fishing right under the kayak or a few feet from it. Take a look as bay and ocean fishing boats and count how many do not have a white bottom on a given day. I’d bet you don’t use a handful of fingers.

Same question asked in fishing clubs,
and nobody has been able to prove that any color

has an advantage over others, or any worse.

Think about it. If a boat color had the ability to attract fish to it,

or to make fish more “catchable”, wouldn’t boat makers make their boats in that color?

Happy fishin and paddlin!

you’d think that bass boat makers
believe the bass follow those glitter boats.

Bass boats
You must be right about the glitter jerlfletcher.

color
That mango color is so delicious looking from Redfish, fish should jump in it.

Color matters to brook trout

– Last Updated: Jun-03-07 10:05 PM EST –

FWIW a friend and I paused during a moose hunt one day to catch a lunch of brook trout from a small lake. I was wearing a homemade vest of a silky reddish orange (hey, the fabric was on sale and my daughter made it). Anyway, within a minute or two, male brook trout were crowding close to my feet as I stood on shore. Dozens of them tilted up slightly toward my vest, obviously attracted by the color.

Dap a fly on the surface anywhere within eight feet of my boots and a fat male brookie would grab it. My friend was using a willow stick with discarded line we'd scrounged from shore and a fly from my box. He stood beside me and caught them as fast or faster.

It was Fall and the trout were prime spawners, averaging 10 or 11 inches. A fly tossed 30 feet from shore caught exclusively females. Along shore, especially right at my feet, it was males. Two limits in minutes. Tasty.

The only relevance here is that it appeared to be color that attracted the fish, as I have stood on many shores and never had fish come to me like that while wearing any other color. And it was a BIG patch of color, unrelated to anything resembling a fish (in my eyes anyway) yet they swam in close and seemed hopeful somehow as they looked up at the vest.

I'd be curious if any biologists have a clue to what was going on. Brookies are gorgeous at that time of year with bright orange markings etc. I suspect that they connected the color to spawning.

My point, and there was one when I started this ramble, is that I'd take this anecdote to indicate that some colors will influence some fish at certain times and conditions. I'd guess some colors would repell and some attract and that most of the time most colors don't influence most fish either way.

Color underwater…

– Last Updated: Jun-03-07 10:47 PM EST –

as a diver, I've always wondered about fishing 'lore' vs. what fish actually care about. Boats and baits come in all sorts of attractive colors (to humans) but fish rarely see the colors we see on dry land. Past about 7 feet below the surface, boat color is meaningless due to the physics of light and the way different wavelengths are filtered out. If you've done any underwater photography, you'll know that ambient light guarantees a bland picture. You need a flash to bring out the colors. Here's a good article:
http://www.deep-six.com/page77.htm
I've found fish are more affected by shadows than color. On a bright sunny day, they tend to head into shadows....under your boat maybe...when the depth is 20 feet or less, in fresh water. I've seen this in salt water too.
Interestingly, noise effect on fish is not as expected. I've sat on the bottom and observed trophy sized bass hovering around, while a running outboard motor was directly overhead and people were banging around in the boat. The fish didn't care. They were more interested in staring right into my mask.
Fish in shallow water, a crystal clear creak of less than 7 feet, will care more about color and tend to see YOU and not the boat. The underside of the boat will be in shadow. You however, will be bright to the fish. Bright clothing accentuates movement and will spook fish every time.
So, regarding your boat color, get what pleases you. The fish don't care. My boat's white, top and bottom and I still catch fish.

color
Thanks everyone for all the info on color. All this has been very informative, and interesting, and an education.