Yakima rack stolen AGAIN!

That would be a great NRA sticker!
I would get one.

Re racks - our trailer is designed by us to take thule bars with mostly Malone carriers attached. When we get to our destination, we simply undo the bars sitting into the notched wood (use rubber bike straps to hold down) and put inside the van. This keeps an honest thief away -of course they could break into the van if they really want them.

Re our bike carrier which is a hitch design - i remove it and also put into the van - again same scenario. I feel better knowing the chances of all parts being there are better than left out in the open. The bad part is when i forget the van door up and install the carrier etc then realize i cannot close the van door! Yeah i know once you should learn - nope not me - done numerous times! always after a ride - guess a little tired!

Is it that hard to take them off…
your roof?

I own Q towers for the car, and I’ll bet I can move slowly and have them in the trunk in two minutes.

The Hull raisers, or whatever they call the crossbar clamps on the SUV take a bit longer, maybe four minutes. I have to unscrew these to release, not just unclamp.

Mark your vehcile where the racks fit, and you can have them on in a jiff.

Why leave them on? They won’t steal what they can’t see. Besides, racks on a car without boats is just ugly.

Further, the UV degradation of the plastics won’t happen with proper storage.

T

So quit buying the “name brand yuppie”…
Sh!t. Then nobody will steal it & it will still work just as good.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

What kind of car do you have?
Let me guess a subaru? If so, I have a set of factory racks from a ford dealership that are brand new. They were ordered for a customer who then changed their mind. I believe I have all the hardware. It is new in package. Shoot me an offer & we’ll figure out something.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

He lives in Kalifornia. They aren’t…
Allowed to have weapons or protect themselves. The only weapons they are allowed to have are far inferior to the weapons that the gang members aren’t “supposed” to own.

Good luck to the OP. I suggest he move to a less communist country & live like a free man.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Not Kalifornia
I live in Floriduh not a communist country as of yet.

Tried PVC
and 2 x 4 rack but couldn’t figure out how to make them secure enough to transport boats and have them not fly off at highway speeds. If you have any ideas, please post them.

An older Toyota Matrix.

Floriduh!!! LMAO!!!
I never heard of (seen) it spelled like that… ROTFLMAO!!!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Another idiotic "Coffee-ism"
Please do enlighten us about how you came to the conclusion that Yakima and Thule racks are “brand-name yuppie” products. They’re simply the most commonly available brands of racks. Also, please list the alternative brands, as based on your statement, there must be a lot of them.

For the record, I don’t own either one, but the Saris rack I own is no longer in production, so it’s not a viable alternative unless you can find a used one and you have an older car for which clips were available.

Just casue you are an idiot, doesn’t…
Mean that rationality is stupid… Yes, they are “name brand & yuppie”. Yuppies use them & put down any other alternative.

Inno

Malone

Mont Blanc

Proline

Barrecrafters

Fulton

Perrycraft

There ya go, just afew of many examples.

Well known name brands are “attention getters”. Either buy those that gets there attention caught or by those who want attention!!!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

An idiot? Well, at least I can spell…

– Last Updated: Jun-28-10 10:35 AM EST –

...and put together a coherent sentence.

So a bunch of racks that cost the about the same as Yakima and Thule are not "yuppie", simply because they're less well known? Yeah, that makes sense. I guess McDonalds and Burger King must be "yuppie" restaurants, since everyone knows their name. I mean, they're EVERYWHERE!

Exactly who are all these yuppies that are "putting down" other brands of racks? For that matter, who are all these people who's attention is focused on what brand of rack someone owns? Really, when have you ever seen ANYONE pay ANY "attention" to what roof rack another person owns? It seems you're probably the only person with the warped perception that anyone else actually cares what type of rook rack someone owns or that a roof rack can be a status symbol.

"Wow, nice rack!" is not generally used to describe rooftop kayak carriers, but perhaps that's where you're getting confused.

Outlets for the racks you listed are nowhere near as common as for the Y and T brand racks, which is why most people don't buy them. They may be great products, but Y and T dominate the market, for better or worse. They're readily available everywhere, which is why they sell well. Y and T racks are also widely available used, in which case they can be considerably cheaper than alternative brands. Is a product still "brand name yuppie" if you buy it used for a fraction of the original price?

It really seems that "name brand yuppie" is just Coffee-speak for "Anything I don't like or won't spend my money on". As I said, idiotic.

read my post again
I already said why. If none of those things are important to you, drill baby drill!

Let me start by saying…

– Last Updated: Jun-28-10 3:39 PM EST –

I am going to write my responses in "caps", just so you can define between the Q's & A's. I am NOT yelling...

...and put together a coherent sentence.

YOU UNDERSTOOD EXACTLY WHAT I SAID, SO IF THE SHOE FITS...

So a bunch of racks that cost the about the same as Yakima and Thule are not "yuppie", simply because they're less well known? Yeah, that makes sense.

YEP, IT DOES... IF A SHOE THIEF SAW A PAIR OF MERRILS SITTING ON A BENCH NEXT TO A PAIR OF WAL-MART WALKERS, WHICH DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD TAKE?

I guess McDonalds and Burger King must be "yuppie" restaurants, since everyone knows their name. I mean, they're EVERYWHERE!

NO, THEY ARE NOT "OVERPRICED". NOW STARBUCKS IS VERY "YUPPIE" OR ANY OTHER COFFEE SHOP THAT YOU NEED TO PAY OVER A DOLLAR FOR A COFFEE OR A WHITE-MOCHA-JAVA-EXTREME-SUPER-FROTHY-SPRITSOLITO...

Exactly who are all these yuppies that are "putting down" other brands of racks?

THEY EXIST HERE ON P.NET, I HAVE POINTED THEM OUT SINCE 1999/2000.

For that matter, who are all these people who's attention is focused on what brand of rack someone owns? Really, when have you ever seen ANYONE pay ANY "attention" to what roof rack another person owns?

*SEE ABOVE ANSWER

It seems you're probably the only person with the warped perception that anyone else actually cares what type of rook rack someone owns or that a roof rack can be a status symbol.

*SEE ABOVE ANSWER

"Wow, nice rack!" is not generally used to describe rooftop kayak carriers, but perhaps that's where you're getting confused.

Outlets for the racks you listed are nowhere near as common as for the Y and T brand racks, which is why most people don't buy them. They may be great products, but Y and T dominate the market, for better or worse. They're readily available everywhere, which is why they sell well. Y and T racks are also widely available used, in which case they can be considerably cheaper than alternative brands.

WELL IF MORE PEOPLE RESEARCHED RACKS INSTEAD OF JUST BUYING "THE NORM", THEY WOULD FIND THEY MIGHT SAVE AFEW BUCKS FOR THE (AS YOU PUT IT) SAME QUALITY.

Is a product still "brand name yuppie" if you buy it used for a fraction of the original price?

STILL YUPPIE, BUT BOUGHT USING COMMON SENSE, INSTEAD OF BUYING A PRODUCT & PAYING FOR THE NAME- THEY ARE BUYING A PRODUCT WITH A GOOD NAME FOR THE PRICE.

It really seems that "name brand yuppie" is just Coffee-speak for "Anything I don't like or won't spend my money on". As I said, idiotic.

NO, YUPPIE IS ANYTHING THE SHEEPLE BUY JUST BECAUSE IT IS WHAT THE SHEEPLE BUY.

AS I HAVE SAID ON P.NET FOR MANY YEARS, IF YOU MAKE ALL THE MONEY & WANT TO BUY IT... FINE. IF YOU WANT SOMETHING SIMILAIR THAT WILL SERVE YOU JUST AS WELL... LOOK AROUND FIRST.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

WOW!!! Seems you have a problem.
As I have said many times before here:

If you are called a yuppie & take offense, then it is you who have a problem.

If you are a yuppie and are embarrassed in being called one, then maybe you should do change your ways.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Thanks, but
I am asking the specific city. I can only assume that the thefts take place so that the racks can be re-sold. If that’s the case then I can only also assume that there exists a market for these stolen goods. If so, then who among us are buying these purloined products? I mean who buys a set of locking racks without keys from a gangbanger?

BTW: these brand name racks are not popular by virtue of being bought by yuppies. Rather they are bought by everyone because they are the best product out there. Woe be to those who scrimp on cheap racks.

Make the rack unsellable
Get a free engraving tool from the police and engrave something like “For Sale? Then this has been stolen” on both bars. Or “For Sale? Please call Officer [Botelli] at LAPD”. Or use your imagination.

Man, you need to get some help
This inferiority complex of yours is really getting out of hand.

Nobody buys a Yakima or Thule rack because of the name, unless it’s either because they’ve seen it everywhere and therefore recognize it, they know someone who has one and likes it or because they associate the name with quality. The fact that you actually think that anyone regards a friggin’ roof rack, of all things, as a status symbol, is stupid beyond belief. Nobody other than YOU cares what kind of rack anyone else uses. The idea that anyone who bought a Y or K rack would be embarrassed about it because some wingnut on a kayak forum calls it a “yuppie” product is even dumber than the assertion that they regard it as a status symbol.

People buy Y & K racks because those are the brands that are carried by the overwhelming majority of businesses that sell kayaks and other outdoor gear that would be used with a rack (bicycles, skis, snowboards, etc.). The fact that someone simply buys what’s available doesn’t make them a “yuppie” or anything else, it just makes them a typical consumer. If you ask retailers, you’ll find that most rack buyers want their racks installed for them. If there aren’t any dealers for any other brands around, what choice do they have?

I don’t doubt that other racks offer a better value, but if there aren’t dealers for them, most people simply aren’t going to seek them out, they’re going to buy what they can easily find.

Time is money.
If you have to spend a lot of time checking out every product that is available in your area to make sure you couldn’t save 10 or 20% off the price by finding the “non-yuppie” alternative and ordering it online, it may not really be the economically (or otherwise) wisest use of your time.

Yeah, I know…sounds like something a yuppie would say. I’m too old and unprofessional to qualify.

Thieves will steal whatever is popular. Stuff that works tends to be popular. A cheaper roof rack that works as well and looks similar to Y or T will get stolen just as quickly. I guess you’d save a few buck at least - unless you had to pay shipping that ate the difference or you just don’t want to spend the time looking.

Yakima needs better locks
Last year I had my rack stolen with two kayak and two bike set-ups. The entire rack was lifted up from the car top, in less than one hour, and all the thief(s) left were four Yakima lock cylinders (untouched) and four scratches on my car doors (probably from a belt buckle). Yakima informed me that the locks are a deterrent and not really made to be perfectly secure. SO, for everyone that is considering Yakima locks, please keep this in mind. Essentially the cylinders were popped out of the Q-Towers with ease and the rack probably ended up on Craig’s list (ie: Where people sell stolen goods).

I wish that Yakima would develop some type of system that was more permanently mounted; permanent cores in metal and fork mounts that didn’t screw off (on the other side of the lock).

I can assure you that my next rack will have my name welded into the trays, etched into the little pieces, and painted obnoxiously un-sellable and florescent!!!

Cheers!