Yep - Another 1st kayak question

Big Boy Boat Like Me
I’ve had 3 boats in three years. Find a boat your comfortable in. I would suggest the Current Designs, Titan HV. It’s a big stable boat and just plain fun to cruse around in.

Be patient ?
The Carolina 14 footer is a good boat and It can work 4 u … Try the Old Town Cayuga 14.6 also. I have a Cayuga and it performs well on the rivers and in the ocean where I live. Im a big guy 6’1" 240 lbs and both of these boats ar nice rides 4 me. You will learn balance, tracking, and edging as you paddle. I also own a Dagger Specter 15.5 cabonlite boat. Its more expensive and I dont take it on too many rivers but it performs just fine on the lakes and in the ocean. Happy paddling it’s good to hear you are getting instruction. Don’t be patient, just give your self some time.

I’m about your size.
5’ 11" x 260-275 pounds. First and foremost - don’t bother with anything less than 14’. I know there’s a price gap between the 2 (though, I picked up an Old Town Dirigo 140 (rec. boat) used for less than $600 a couple of years ago - it was a rental boat sell off in the fall).

I’ve found that anything less than 14’ just feels slow and cumbersome in the water for people our weight. If you’re after something that you can work on skills with - I’d suggest a Tsunami 145.

Don’t worry about your balance issues in getting in. It’s an ackward thing (again, made worse by our size). But, I’m at a point where I can jump into and out of most boats (that I fit in the first place!).

2nd the Tsunami
or anything over about 14 foot that you’ll fit in.

If you want to move efficiently, you’re going to need some volume and a relatively narrow boat. Anything below about 13 foot and you’ll be plowing water (generally speaking).

Try out some longer boats, yeah, they cost more, but with your goals in mind, you’re not going to be happy with the shorter kayaks. New, you are looking at boats in the $800 to $1200 range, but used you can probably find something for about $600.

jim

I’ve paddled the 125 and 145 a lot
and I have to say that I prefer the 125, especially for skills. The 145 is a bit of a barge. I’d recommend the 165 over the 145. I’m 255 right now, and have paddled with another 35 pounds in my 125 and can move right along.

I’ll agree with all the 14’ minimums
My wife and I have Manitou 14’s… I’m only 180, and I find the cockpit comfortable. A bigger guy like you would also fit in here nicely… we originally were going to get a 13 for my wife… but due to an “oops” at the outfiter (they sold our pre-paid 13!) we ended up with another 14. My wife THANKS the guy for that oops big time… the 14 is THAT much better for her/us. Yeah, there is a jump in price between the 13 and 14, but I think that’s because the Manitou 14 adds the Skeg as default. As a new paddler, I’ve learned that that skeg is worth it once the waves and wind come up… the Manitou 14 tracks great without in good weather, but it really locks in with the skeg when conditions turn less than favourable.