Yet another "help me pick a kayak" thread

Yeah, if we had been in open water, it would have been conditions for dry suit, for sure. However, we are on a smaller lake with two power boats on the course for emergency and rescue, so foulies over fleece is the typical attire. We can always get someone out of the water within a few short minutes, if needed, on this small course.

In hindsight, I think my big mistake was taking a novice out with us in those conditions. I blame it on youthful immortality and optimism.

As a child I never liked “the sail boat”- a rhodes bantam made by my father and grandfather. What sealed the deal for me was when my father forget to put in the mast pin after trailering the boat to the dock for a new season of sailing. We get out in the middle of the lake when the wooden mast comes slamming down just inches from clobbering my ten year old head. Add to that the discomfort of the orange horse collar pfds and the time spent scrubbing the wood hull at the end of the season, bailing the boat (it had leaks) and I learned to really not like anything about sailing. I did better with the canoe trips.

Different strokes for different folks! I get bored of paddling calm water after the first three strokes, and would rather fight the mental battle with the wind, than paddle around our local lake. I might feel differently if we lived near any white water, and if I had started kayaking when I was younger, but here we are…

However, my wife would much rather paddle along quietly, than feel at the mercy of the wind, so it’s a kayak for her. I’m just glad you good folks are here to offer some guidance on that endeavor.

Rambler tandem in the garage, I started looking over it a bit this weekend. Got some questions and comments on it, but I’ll create a new targeted thread to post them tonight or tomorrow, and maybe contribute some thoughts to the reviews section.

Great story It takes me back to many races and makes me realize how much some friends have put up with, for the sake of a relationship, that was way out of their comfort zone and with little hope of getting their name on a trophy…

Maybe decades late but I will make a few calls to say thanks…

Thanks, GH