Yoga for Paddlers???

Yoga helps a lot of things . . .
but its not necessarily for everyone. Without a doubt it improves torso rotation, promotes back flexibility, strengthens lower back and abdominal muscles, enhances range of motion in the shoulder, stretches the hamstrings, quads, etc., but some of the postures are for the elite yogis only. A good strength/cardio program at the gym will also do that if you are consistent with it. We all have to work with the limitations of our own bodies, and regardless of what they are, strength training, cardio/endurance training, balance, flexibility and stretching (done when the muscles are warm) make for a stronger overall paddling experience and fewer injuries.

Rotation, rotation, rotation
and maybe a little peace of mind.

(did I mention rotation?)

Sticking with it
I’m going to stick with it. I would like to work on flexibility in order to help prevent injuries from paddling, lifting and cycling.

It is a strange and interesting workout to me. Quite a bit different from what I had expected.

Can’t hurt…they give a once weekly class at lunch time near where I work.

I also ordered that DVD above. Again, I am curious to learn about the benefits. I know there are probably many other benefits other than the obvious one of flexibility.

Matt

Strange timing
I’ve been paddling for the last 8 years or so. Just this year I decided to loose some extra pounds and get in better shape. I’ve considered trying Yoga for a while and then a few days ago I ran across this thread. A half hour later I got an email here at work saying that another company in the building was opening up their lunchtime yoga classes to the other tenants in the building. I’m a little nervous as I will be the only guy in the class. I guess I’d get over that. My next fear is that since I’m as tight as a drum (haven’t been able to touch my toes in the last 25 years) that I will be a drag on the class.

I guess I’m going to give it a try, I just wanted to comment :slight_smile:

db

Good
lots of Yoga classes put on quiet music and dimm the lights.

You do what you can and only as much as you want and only the moves / positions that feel right…you get to decide, no one keeps score and there are no tests.

You can’t lose and

actually no one will be watching you. Everyone usually totally ignores everyone else.

remember …every gain you make …you win

and all that without anyone keeping score

Best wishes

Roy

More women then guys
Many times at the classes I take I’m the only guy. Guys don’t like to do things they don’t do well and most guys (myself included) are not that flexible. At the health club I belong to, all the pumping iron guys are afraid of it because they will be reduced to nothings. If you take a real yoga class it can be quite a workout. You will see yourself getting through the class easier each time and you know you are building strength and flexibility. Don’t feel intimidated - just give it a try and stick with it The most important thing is not to push yourself too much in the beginning. That’s how people get sore or injured. Guys are competitive and want to keep up with the class and can over due it in the beginning - like I did. It’s not like one of those aerobic classes where everyone is pushed to keep up. Many times people will just kneel down to rest a bit and encouraged to do so. Nobody’s yelling at you “come on 10 more!” and all that crap.

thanks
thanks for the encouragement! I’ve gone back and forth with whether I was going to attend but Now I will definitely try it. I know it will help things that are definitely weak points for me …

Any tips for preparing for my first class on 3-14?

db

We just got back from Canoecopia in
Madison, where we bought a Yoga for Paddlers dvd along with way too much other stuff. Gonna give the yoga a try in the morning.

It got me into a canoe

– Last Updated: Mar-08-08 11:57 PM EST –

Befor i tryed yoga i only felt comfterable in kayaks. thanks to yoga i gained the confidence in my balence to do a solo canoe. and have barely touched the kayaks.
jus the simple basic poses worked great.nothing wrong with the harder advaced stuff though.

Prep for yoga class

– Last Updated: Mar-09-08 1:48 PM EST –

Get it out of your head that you need to achieve a certain amount of stretch in order to get the benefits. You absolutely don't, and as above this often kills guys' experiences. If it's any help, some of your muscles wrap in a way that just doesn't support flexibility as well as womens'.

You can feel like you are a price of wood compared to the (likely) woman next to you, but if you pay attention to the breathing and doing what is a comfortable stretch for your body you'll get the same benefits as the human pretzel two mats over.

Yoga Tips
Be careful when you are starting out. As a general rule, if you are feeling the stretch in the joint you may be overdoing it and stretching the tendon and ligaments. Stretching ligaments is terrible, as they do not go back to where they were. They stay stretched and lead to joint instability.

Another thing to avoid is unsupported back flexion. When you bend forward and hang with your back rounded over, your spinal erectors (the muscles that run from the base of your skull to your sacrum), check out and relax. What is supporting your back in that position are ligaments. You do NOT want to stretch the ligaments around you spine! A lot of yoga instructors will tell you to hang over like that and then roll back up “one vertebra at a time”. It is safer to flex at your hips and “swan dive” down into the hanging position, place your hands on your thighs and push (if your erectors are not strong enough) to “swan dive” back up, taking care not to lock and/or hyperextend your knees. If you can not “swan dive” down into a hanging position with a neutral back, place your hands on your thighs to support your torso and bend as far as you comfortably can, keeping your back neutral or slightly arched. Do not round your spine. When you are on the floor on your hands and knees you can round your spine (cat stretch). You can also round your spine when you are lying on your back with knees to chest.

Do not do anything that hurts. Some positions are not good for knees (think hurdler position). People will tell you that yoga has been around for thousands of years, so how can any of the positions be bad for you? They just are! Be careful. Yoga is a great way to build strength and flexibility and I highly recommend it. Find a good teacher and have fun!

-Nancy

Prepare?

– Last Updated: Mar-10-08 9:19 AM EST –

Just arrive and have a good time. Enjoy yourself. Bring a bottle of water and a towel. Most places have loner mats. Don't go with a full stomach. Post back how it went.