“You must be a lesbian” — stoopit trashneck encounter!

.The fishing web sites have discussions about stupid people in boats crossing through their lines. It works both ways.

Every time we see it we think they must not be too happy with their lives, or completely ignorant.
We encountered a beut last week while paddling our canoe.
There is a section on the lake that narrows down and it is clearly marked as a “NO Wake” zone.
All the power boats obey it and pass through at a crawl. We saw a bozo on a jet ski coming at full speed leaving a large rooster tail behind. Jet ski wakes never bother us since they don’t push up a big wake, but I figured he must not have read the signs and I thought I should warn him so he wouldn’t get a ticket . Knowing he couldn’t hear me, I pointed to the bouy and then gave a thumbs down signal.
He then shot me the bird a yelled out F.U.
Takes all kinds !

@Overstreet said:
.The fishing web sites have discussions about stupid people in boats crossing through their lines. It works both ways.

Great if you can see them. I make it a point to veer out away from shore when I notice people fishing but have still been clotheslined by their lines. That, or have only seen them by the glint of the sun right at the last minute.

You’re right that it works both ways. I’ve had this experience, and I’ve had those people that reel in their lines when I go by. If only everyone could just get along…

@Overstreet said:

Sure, it does. In my incident, they had not put out any lines yet. She definitely said “We WILL BE putting hooks out.”

I had two guys throwing Muskie lures behind me once. They said they could see one following me. Hmmm. They were awfully excited so I gave them the benefit of the doubt(?)
Sorry for your butthead experience Pikabike, feel sorry for the kids. Bad behavior is learned.

@pikabike said:

@Overstreet said:

Sure, it does. In my incident, they had not put out any lines yet. She definitely said “We WILL BE putting hooks out.”

Sounds like snagging

Rival, I had to look that one up. Thank you for the heads-up, because if they were snagging that explains the almost paranoid hostility about someone merely passing by.

Snagging is illegal in CO.

Snagging is actually legal in CO, but only in limited places for Kokanee salmon. Most places don’t open until September or later, so if they were snagging, it wasn’t legal. I don’t know where you were, but since you said a “little reservoir”, it is unlikely to have any snagging season. The places where snagging is legal are usually big, like McPhee, Blue Mesa, Ridgway, Taylor, etc.

@pikabike snagging is (mostly I think) illegal in MI now as well. Back when the early runs of planted Coho and Chinook salmon were coming in it was an entire different story. Think shoulder to shoulder crowds of drunks casting out huge treble hooks with heavy weights on. Not my idea of a good time.

Regarding passing shoreline fishermen, I have to watch for them along the winding banks of the local empoundment lake where I often paddle, where it is sometimes hard to spot them or their lines in the shade and shoreline reeds and brush. I came around a bend last summer and suddenly realized there were a couple of bobbers directly in my path. I quickly swerved but bumped one with my bow. When I turned to apologize to the angler I saw him excitedly pulling on an adjacent line. I watched him bring in a pretty good sized fish and then offered my “sorry” for crowding his spot. He just laughed and asked if I would be willing to come back his way just as closely on my way home. Said he had been sitting there all morning with no bites so I was either good luck or my boat had driven the fish towards his bait.

Follow-up: The state wildlife and parks contact said they had been looking for certain people who had been doing illegal things at the reservoir, and that they had ticketed some for bringing illegal boats (motorized) there, skirting the AIS requirements. If the people I saw were, in fact, snagging, that was illegal. He thanked me for letting them know what was happening.

Willowleaf, a fisherman once told me he wondered if paddlers might cause fish to come towards his line. He looked hopeful.

@pikabike said:

Willowleaf, a fisherman once told me he wondered if paddlers might cause fish to come towards his line. He looked hopeful.

I think “hopeful” is the very definition of fishing.

I don’t fish so I might be off base here…but can’t they use line that has a color? It’s awfully difficult under some situations to know where that line is.

@Sparky961 said:

@Overstreet said:

Great if you can see them. I make it a point to veer out away from shore when I notice people fishing but have still been clotheslined by their lines. That, or have only seen them by the glint of the sun right at the last minute.

You’re right that it works both ways. I’ve had this experience, and I’ve had those people that reel in their lines when I go by. If only everyone could just get along…

I wondered that myself (about colored line) and a google search turned this up:

https://www.fix.com/blog/do-fish-see-line/

Bertrand Russell met these two, he said " The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Peter

Russell was ahead of his time in recognizing the Dunning-Kruger effect (and its counterpart, that of people of real intelligence being cautiously self-critical).

I was thinking about just that while listening to the live news broadcasts this morning.