young adults

Couch Pototatos
http://www.bakio.com/bst/2007/fotos/kayak/161007_34.jpg

Here’s my observation…

– Last Updated: Nov-06-07 12:00 AM EST –

In Seattle, I've noticed tons of 20-somethings kayaking, but usually it's in a double from a local rental place (Lake Union and Lake Washington are crawling with this generation in kayaks all summer long). That's really fun for a day, for sure, but you know what they say about doubles and relationships.

If a 20-something is going to see what an exciting thing sea kayaking really can be, they've got to go out with someone who knows what they're doing, and in a single. Maybe some of Justine's videos need to get more exposure!

I Can Only Imagine The Size Of The Couch
given the size of that “pillow…” Yowsa!

sing

I am 40,
but started paddling a lot (bought my own kayak and paddling several days a week as opposed to doing an anual river trip which we have done since high school) 15 years ago.

I recently sold my Current Designs Solstice GT to a guy who is 24 years old, so there’s a little hope.

I find a lot of 20 somethings who are interested in paddling. They are generally outdoorsy-types to begin with who don’t have the budget to buy a boat but are very willing to go paddling if I set them up with one.

speaking for myself
I started paddling at 19. By 21 I was homeless, living in a tent on an island and paddling to/from work (raft guide). Sea Kayaking is a hobby, WW is an addiction. 20 somethings can’t afford hobbies, but are succeptible to addictions :wink:

Depends on the young people…
I think there are plenty of young adults (as you say, in their twenties) who are interested in paddling and don’t associate it with any given age group – but as with any activity, it just depends on whether those young adults are the same places you are or not.

To some extent, it is probably geography, family upbringing (did they grow up outdoors?), and financial means, among other things. After all, a kayak is probably lower priority than college, car, etc., no matter how much they may want one.

Someone above mentioned WW
and that is where all the younger ones are.

If you go to a WW river you will find that ninty percent of the paddlers are in their early twenties

Paddling is not cool, it is not publized, it is not televised and the younger folks think it is for the older generation.

It is kind of similar to road biking If you look at the average age of a cyclist, you will find that most of them are in their thirties and forties.

cheers,

JackL

Truth is , if I could still hike, I
would be doing that instead of paddling this weekend.I was a runner, who became a hiker, who became a walker, who became a kayaker based on what my beat up body could take at the time.

I prefer the activities that I can do more readily and burn more calories, but those aren’t practical now.

I suspect most active people are the same way. Do the most you can do when you can do it.

recreation costs
when I was younger I didn’t have much money to spend on recreation gear so I did a lot of packpacking. I had picked up a cheap second hand canoe and used it a lot as well. But kayaks were not as common back then and second hand ones were even more uncommon. As I’ve grown older I can afford more expensive toys.

Economics play a big role for sure.
Hiking took a pair of boots and a pack and the boots lasted a year or 2; the pack forever.

Hmmm, good question
I have four boys 13-22 and they have all gone out with me at least once in the last year and claim they had a good time. Wonder if they are just trying to make this old geezer feel good.

g2d nailed it.
20 somethings have no tolerance for old worn out pricks that have nothing to do but police websites for out of place posts . . . .

;~p

In my observation
living here in North Florida all my life. I have always been very active person. Now that I’m 54 it is what I call “You are a product of your environment”. Where you live is what dictates what one will do. I live near the Ocean.

So Young people as a whole would rather surf, jetski,kiteboard or any other high adrenalin sport and party. For example: I love to MTN bike and also road bike (but don’t find the road biking as fun). Florida does not have any MTN here to play on! However, I use the environment for what activity I can enjoy. So now that I am hard into sea kayaking in the surf. It’s like starting all over again. When I was young I was a surfer. Now I just sit on the board instead of standing.

Mike

Various factors
From what I have seen locally, the young 'uns attracted to our waters are kite surfing on Lake Erie every time the wind is up. Some are windsurfing too. Lots are jetskiing. There are a few paddling ww in the Zoar Valley area on Catt. Creek when it’s running. Few 20-somethings are paddling sea kayaks or are in rec boats. Almost none are in canoes, from observation and anecdotal information.

The local older generation (I’d say 30 -40 and up) are in kayaks and canoes, in larger numbers, on any given decent weather day, on Lake Erie, the Niagara River, and the local creeks. But they’re mostly flatwater paddlers, or maybe gently moving water paddlers, with a few ww oldsters thrown into the mix.

I think there’s several factors at play here. Local paddlers are shaped by the local waters. There’s not much consistent ww here for excitement for the youngsters (whereas Lake Erie provides big waves more often than not). And younger folks often don’t have a disposable portion amount of their incomes to spend on boats and gear. If they have families (kids), of course, they come first, both time-wise and monetarily. That doesn’t always leave time or money for paddling.

I have met a few 20-somethings on the waters here in 4 years, but they are not the majority.

I’d love to get my 21 year old son out paddling, but he’s too busy in love with his girlfriend. :wink:

Some very
good observations have been made by folks in this thread. I think I’m still young enough to weigh in on this topic, as I’m 28 and started my first foray into Kayaking when I was 26/27. My best friend is of similar age, and also has started kayaking around the same time as me.

The thing that makes me different I think then many people my age that work and socialize with is that I’ve always been a guy who loved the outdoors and activities that got me out in nature. I started fishing and camping with my father and uncle at a young age, and continue to today. Myself and my 2 best friends started a tradition of 2-4 yearly camping trips when we were 19, that has continued today. I also am an avid hiker, and do enjoy rock climbing. Learning to kayak was a very natural thing for me, it was another great way to enjoy nature, get outside, and away from the traffic and congestion of urban and suburban centers.

I love flatwater paddling, and spend most of my paddling hours on rivers in the NJ Pine Barrens region. I think people tend to paddle the water that is available to them in their area. I could take up ocean or surf kayaking given how close I am to the NJ shore, but for some reason I’m just not attracted to it. I’d rather spend time on a long flowing river, or a lake.

Recently I’m starting to take the first steps towards WW boating, not because it is more exciting for me or more interesting, but because there is quite a bit of class II/III WW out by my brother in law who I visit frequently, and he has also started kayaking. Of course I figure the younger I am when I learn skills like WW kayaking, the longer I’ll get to enjoy them.

I will say though that I think I’m part of an increasing minority. My friends at work, and friends who don’t camp and hike with me don’t understand my obsession with sleeping in tents, hiking in the rain, and loading a kayak on the roof of my car. They’d rather watch their 70" lcd tv’s, play fantasy football, or watch the Eagles lose. Another piece of the puzzle for me is that I was never a real skilled athlete at team sports like baseball or football. I was an ok soccer player in jr high, and I was always an excellent runner with high endurance. I’ve always enjoyed a sport like kayaking or rock climbing, or even golf more because I’m competing with myself, pushing myself to increase my skills and performance.

I sincerely hope that my children will someday (when I have them) pick up the enjoyment of the outdoors from me. It has brought some wonderful memories and experiences to my life that I will never forget.