Your favorite paddle sports shop!

MARiNER SAILS - DALLAS ! ! ! !
Mariner Sails Wind & Water Sports, in Dallas, (www.mariner-sails.com) gets my vote! Mariner is an independent store that truly makes you feel like a customer. They work very hard to compete (pricing wise) with the big box boys but the “value added” extras that they provide make any purchase a real bargain. Their goal is to make everyone a satisfied customer. The majority of their sales come from referrals from satisfied customers like myself.

All of the staff (Aris, the owner, Chris, Brian, and Al) have hands on experience with everything that they sell. This includes Wildy and Hobie Kayaks, Hobie Cat sailboats, windsurfing equipment, R/C model sailboats, and a vast array of parts and accessories.

The store also sponsors the local Hobie Cat Fleet #23, the North Texas Windriders, and is a long time shoreline adoptee and active participant in the Second Saturday Spruce Ups at White Rock Lake (www.whiterocklake.org). They also provide year round free demos every Thursday evening as well as free use of yaks at the above mentioned Second Saturday Spruce Ups.

I am one of many in the D/FW metroplex who consider ourselves “Mariner Cheerleaders”. We want to do all that we can to keep this great paddling shop alive and well.

Maybe some of you other Dallas folks will give a big “AMEN” and a few of your comments.

mikepaddle

Favorite Paddle Shop
The Jersey Paddler in Brick NJ.

45 mins.from home. Great people, Lots of stuff,Test paddle every thing every day ,over 1000 boats at any given time.

Not a problem Mick here’s mine

– Last Updated: May-25-05 6:58 PM EST –

O.R.E for Outdoor Recreational Equipment, Market Street Youngstown Ohio. A small shop with limited resorces but if they don't have it...Ask and they will get it for you. Tony, Lori, Kevin, and James all good people who are willing to help. Prices are always fair. http://www.ore-equip.com/page/page/1710537.htm just wanted to remind everyone to keep the small guys in business.

O.R.E. Youngstown Ohio…
http://www.ore-equip.com/page/page/1710537.htm

Mpls, MN
Midwest Mountaineering.

SW Michigan - Lee’s and Outpost.
Lee’s Sporting Goods in Kalamazoo and the Outpost in Holland - have all the good stuff and great staff.

Nope I don’t work there or have family there.

Appomattox River Company
Richmond and Farmville, VA

Excellent selection of canoes, kayays and related gear. Virtually all of the staff really knows paddling and can offer good advice.

Sure
Yeh, I’m hoping to win that Nova Craft. I’ll let you know if it works. Seriously, I owe a lot to this website.

In south Florida…

– Last Updated: May-26-05 12:42 PM EST –

In south FL there are surprisingly few kayak stores, if compared to the amount of water/people around them.

To my knowledge there are three shops that cater to paddle sports in a more serious way:

- Adventure Times Kayaks in Palm Beach (where I bought my boat) carries Impex and therefore got my business.
- Sweetwater Kayaks in Tampa is reputed to be very good; I think Nigel Foster is part owner. Too far for me to check it out so far.
- Florida Bay Outfitters, is where I actually wanted to buy, but they did not carry the brand/boat I was looking for. This is a really nice shop that is for sale at the moment. This might be a good opportunity for someone willing to get in this business, they have an established client list, might be good.
The problem in my mind is that the idea of starting a business out of your hobby usually ends up ruining the hobby, therefore it is not for me. A sad thing though, this is a nice store, the location is fantastic, right by the water in Key Largo, great for demos.

It sounds kinda crazy to have so many bodies of water - from lakes to canals to ICW and the ocean - all over the place and having to drive at least two hours to get to a decent paddle shop, and I live between Miami and Ft Lauderdale, not exactly a secluded area.

Local Shops
In RI, Sakonnet Boat House is a great place. Very knowledgable people who love the sport … I bought one boat there a few years ago. Great location right on the bay … you can demo boats there. As a newbie I never felt talked down to ot talked into anything. Also many great places to paddle close by. They rent and do classes. Very highly recommended by RI’ers. There’s another shop in Wickford RI … very nice stock … my two times stopping in, however, I was quickly sized up as a newbie just looking and promptly ignored. And best of all, no sales tax on boats in RI!

In MA I bought a boat last year from Charles River Boat House. These folks run several places in the Boston area, do tours and classes, and rentals. Many of the people there are very experienced … Some of the young kids doing rentals may have limited knowledge in some topics, but all are very friendly and will find you someone to talk to rather than wing an answer. They will negotiate price and take on boats in on trade or consignment.

On the Cape, Goose Hummock in Orleans is a neat place on a bay. They also do rentals and tours as well as sell boats in a well stocked store. Because of the summer tourist business, their prices are high in the season and they do not seem to negotiate … I’d bet off-season they might deala bit. A great place to demo boats.

Paddler’s Paradise
. . . of Woodstock,GA.

http://www.paddlers-paradise.com/pages/1/index.htm

Mike and Mark are more interested in getting you in the right boat than making a sale. Check out their “Bill of Rights:”

Paddler’s Paradise Bill of Rights

1. You have the right to be a beginner (We all were once.)
  2. You have the right to ask any question you want. There are NO stupid questions in paddling.
  3. You have the right to be excited about paddling. (We are!)
  4. You have the right to be educated in products as much or as little as you need to make a solid decision.
  5. You have the right to take as long as you need to pick the right boat and not feel pressured to “buy it now.”
  6. You have the right to own an excellent boat, that is right for you and your adventures, and not settle for anything less than that. (We won’t either.)
  7. You have the right to support a great paddling club, and receive a better price from us because you do.
  8. You have the right to well done repairs in a proper shop, outfitting that lasts and stands up to the riggers of trip after trip, and service that will leave you feeling that you were always treated fairly.
  9. You have the right to trade in/up your boat as your skills progress, and you want to go to a higher or different level.

AND…
  10. You have the right to shop at a great boat shop. We hope we have created that here at Paddler’s Paradise.

This is an accurate reflection how the business is run. It is a wonderful place that is good for the sport and the kind of business we should all try to support.

Fluid Fun
…in Bristol IN. They have hundreds of boats in stock and are located on the St. Joseph R. for convenient test paddling. Family business with knowledgeable owners who are all avid paddlers. They carry many different brands and can source virtually any boat you want.

BMO! Blue Mountain Outfitters in PA!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT IS EMPTY?!

>:^)

My favorite paddle sports shops!

BMO in Marseilles, PA IS my local favorite paddle sports shop. They have it ALL: large selection of boats, of accessories, and of knowledgeable people, real down to earth good and fun people. Well then there is Topher, but they keep him around even though he has messed up twice in the past 10 years! Best of all are the owners; Doug and Mary, AND BMO is in an old train depot with goodies tucked into every nook and cranny. Takes hours to really go thorough the place. It simulates the mind and the sense of adventure just stopping there and browsing!!! Hang on to your wallets! >:^) I spend too much and yet not enough everytime I go there, but it is so easy and enjoyable giving your money to such great people!!! Of course it is in exchange for the great products they carry. Prices are more than fair too.

Carl and John’s Paddlin is my favorite on the road to WI and MN shop. Lost of boats. Quality accessories. Knowledge and good people. Great talk. I have picked up boats and equipment their and been there with many people stopping by to do the same.

Piragis is my favorite browsing shop in MN. Love the shop of many rooms. I do not seem to buy a whole lot there. Maybe it is because I have such a great shop as BMO right here at home (just 2-1/2 hrs away). Do love visiting Piragis!

Happy Paddl’n!

:^)

Mick

Mine is Empire Kayak In LI
Although I must admit that I’ve visited quite a few in the area, and they all seem nice.

I like Empire for quite a few reasons. They are very nice people, they are located at a nice place to put in, with good parking, a place to change, use the lavatory, and wash off your gear before leaving. They also have nice group paddles (with some pretty good food) and classes. They have a rental fleet which includes most of the boats they sell, so it’s easy to rent a bunch of boats before buying. I even took a rolling clinic with my intended purchase, to see if rolling the boat was possible for me. They are not a big shop, but they seem to have most things, and will special order most others.

As with most of the local outfitters, the people at Empire just love the sport and being out on the water. They are friendly, honest, not pushy, and price things fairly.

Lou

FLUID FUN
I second Fluid Fun in Bristol. Doesn’t mstter if you’re an expert,or beginner; they have the time to answer your questions.

Compared t o What?

I think that’s Marysville, PA
if I’m not mistaken

Best Local Shops
We are lucky in the CT/RI/MA area to have numerous well-stocked and very knowlegeable sources for our kayaking affliction.

1. The Kayak Centre - Wickford, RI - Billy, Amara, and crew bend over backwards to help you find the boat and gear right for you. They are willing to cut a deal to a point, and have an extensive list of classes, training, and trips for newbie to Nigel-kinds-of-paddlers too. I have bought two new boats from them so far, and would have made it a third if I could have waited long enough for Valley to release their new Q-boat! Oh, did I mention that they were also a distributor for Valley boats now too? A+++

2. MIKCO in Peaks Island, ME. Tom Bergh and crew know their stuff and only sell their new boats wit h bulkheads, rope skegs, and other features as they know what works the best in difficult conditions. Almost bought a boat there…darn it that I didn’t get that traffic yellow over yellow Greenlander Pro…forgive me Tom!!

3. Paddling.net, Connyak.org, and [dare I say] - Ebay for many accessories and older versions of racks, accessories, etc not carried anywhere else.

Cheers!