your favourite PFD's

Astrals
Astrals may be getting rave reviews, but I’ve seen lots of them on sale lately, various web sites, so anyone interested ought to do a google search right now. Could be just the season for sales, but worth a search if you want an Astral and want to save some money.

Also…
… a lot of new models promised during 2005, so sales on current stock may continue to be around.

Astral Wondervest!
I love mine. Fits like a wonderbra and is very adjustable and stays in place without being too tight. I can breath! And the ladies aren’t crushed. The front zip is easy to get in and out of and can be opened for ventilation. I prefer not to have a bunch of stuff to reach around in front, so I don’t miss big pockets. I can get the important stuff in the pocket that’s there. I had a lash tab added at the factory for my knife. If you can get one on sale, even better!

Whichever One I’m Wearing
when I’m on the water because that’s the one I’ll be needing if I “go in.”

Cal

Two favorites
For big open water or rough conditions I prefer an Extrasport vest. I have no idea what the model of mine is but it was their top of the line vest 3 years ago. It is made with quite thick foam, has a zipper up the middle, and a buckle at the bottom. It is reasonably comfortable, does not ride up at all. There are no negatives except that it is HOT.

For quiet water and in the heat of a South Florida summer, I strongly prefer and highly recommend a SOS with manual deployment. This vest is both far more comfortable on a hot day, and offers superior buoyancy when deployed (don’t ask me how I know). The SOS solves the heat problem so well that even in very hot, humid weather I often forget that it is on.

Regards,

Bill

No doubt that given the bucka
Astral is a great way to go, unless heat makes you need an inflateable.

I love my astral wondervest!

maybe the cold is getting to me…
or maybe it’s all the guys who dominate this site but there is something so sexy about women paddlers describing gear…

oh wait; this line of thinking is for the other forums…

;-]

James

my extrasport

– Last Updated: Jan-07-05 7:54 PM EST –

has pockets and a knife mount on it. Kayak back padding thin to make sitting more comfortable. Also nicely matches my boat color.

Extrasport
My wife and I both bought Extrasport PFDs this year. They are very comfortable. We have not capsized yet due to our wide recreational yaks so I don’t know if they work. However, the pockets keep my cigars very dry.

Even the alligators like Extrasport…
http://community.webshots.com/photo/244762713/244764061IgFIjq

Bruce
you should try your PFD before ya need it. Be sure of proper fit and function. Even the factory screws up once in a while.

Thanks Northman
for the advice. I’ll give it a try when Illinois waters warm up a bit. Didn’t feel the need that much last year because I paddled mainly recreational waters and I am a fairly strong swimmer and was never too far from any shore. This year I am a little more advanced and will attempt more challenging conditions and will heed your suggestion.

bingo
a LOT of pfd design is market/bells-whistles driven, I can’t believe the human body or materials have changed in the last 10yrs. I bet 95% of people buying pfds haven’t tried that particular model in the water before buying it. So it’s bought,it’s not snugged up before dumping,a few minutes of thrashing and “there must be something better”,

That old pullover extrasport was perfect. Then the experimentaton began,pockets with flaps and velcro,pockets with flaps and buckles,neither of which keep contents contained in a thrashing swim,pockets with zippers,sizes reduced to two resulting in 1 1/2’ of adjustment strap hanging loose,new side zip/quasi pullovers,

Now that we’re all used to $125pfds what company is going to reintroduce a minimal pullover for half that amount?

Lotus Sherman and Stohlquist BetSea
I started out with a Lotus Sherman - love the low profile and handwarmer on front - but didn’t like the side zip. (I’m rather well endowed, and couldn’t um, see under my “endowment” to get the zipper started.) - Easy there, James!

Switched to a Stohlquist BetSea and love it. Like one of the other ladies said, the foam is contoured around the breasts so it doesn’t squash (too much.) It’s perfect for up to a C cup, but after that it still squashes a little. I’d like to try the Astal Wondervest. Haven’t seen one yet, but am concerned about pockets, because I don’t have enough storage with the one pocket in the BetSea.

Thistleback

suddenly feels not so cold in Winterpeg.
@:-}