Zephyr First Impressions

tempest 165

– Last Updated: Aug-11-09 2:58 PM EST –

well i went to oslo to pick up the 155 but the shop only had the 160.. looked like a nice play boat for big guys, but too much for me...then i found a yellow RM Tempest165 .. when i saw how much smaller this boat was than my 170 , and the increased rocker,,little bit steeper V shape? great new rear hatch etc etc, i made a quick desicion and bought it , instead of a well used romany....tried it a few hours today,, very nice...they compliment each other,, incredibly smooth to roll, much quicker/ easier to turn etc,, great...but ill keep the 170 for the really heavy shit...huge waves...its a very reasuring boat in big
gale conditions...

tempest 165rm
what a nice boat…incredibly easy to roll like the Qaanaaq 512 but smoother and much more comfortable…for me…id like another greenlander bet i guess have it made for my measurements spesifications.or make it myself …would be fun to make a SOF rolling boat just by GUT feel think it out and make it…by feel…

i understand what you mean that it(T165) dont pull you out in a roll like the wider, higher, boat might do…its a quite wet ride…but the nicest rolling boat ive tried…i use a werner ikelos bentshaft and a 180 stormpaddle. waiting for a 240 narrowbladed greenland

tempest 170

– Last Updated: Oct-05-09 2:15 PM EST –

well still no zephyr, but i hope to get one next spring..in the meantime i had a great session with the 170 today...i love that boat..it dances..

zephyr
finally i got my claws around a Red zephyr demo kayak, so i can do some comparisons…very nice indeed.

they only had the 160 in now. but i grabbed the opportunity …so it was nice: very nice.

ive paddled the 170 for 5years in all conditions really.

its gettig cold i norway now. the first day i had storng wind locally very strong peaking to 8 baufort in gusts…this is a lanke in a steep valley…i paddled rapidly over to the side where the wind was strongest. it was easy to get across ,just very sharp stormy looking 3footers…hehe almost no fetch from north.then i got into the wind sone where the lake was white with steep breaking small waves…

the boat handled very nicely…it was a joy to roll i think, very smooth…the second day i had comletely calm icy cold sunshine,lots of turns and leans, to get to know the boat. very interesting design.

you know im 172 i think and this is a “big boat”

nevertheless, i think it was great…slight adjustments and i actually think its good to have a big boat for playing in waves. people somtimes say my T170 is to big…but its awesome in heavy confused seas. i would say that this boat is a much more rounded design than the tempest. the flat heavy side part on the t. is much smaller, it feels much more like what we call them i norway now 360degree stepless action hhe at least i do…

it doesnt have the tremendous bite the t has on the secondary or edging. but its extremely nible…lots of rocker i every plane exept the very low rear deck and

flatter top than the tempest…

i could steer it easyli like steve said from the front. and once i was able to spin it…with the boat close to 90 degrees on the water…

i fell in love quickly…so il keep it…

i think the boats and paddles are our teachers…

this boat i also think my wife could like, shees a bit nervous about small boats. so its a great action oriented kayak, nice and easy for beginners and also a boat advanced paddlers can develop new stuff in i think. its a boat unlike any other ive paddled,great.

im very pleased with the quality of tempests and this one to in plastic…the hatch problems are solved.

great new rear hatches om my new 165R too. they have great details , strong , extremely well designed boats. i guess me and my new “little red rooster” can get out in som winter storm surf together…that means i would think about getting a brooks ultra large tuilik. the opening is huge.i havnt tried capsising and reenter,but it shoul be ideal for that… just abunch of rolls.and yes. oh, i forgot.

this boat behaved very well in strong wind with a special 240 narrowbladed greenland paddle i got…