Zip-lock bags?

Yes and no
I’ve used zip-lock with good results. But I soon notice even the “heavy duty” ones WILL wear after a couple of use. So a new one is required if I were to trust it to keep the water out.

Then, after a couple of replacement zip-lock, it dawn on me that it may NOT be such a bargain if I have to use a new one every other trip. How many trips does it take to equal the price of a REAL dry bag? Never mind the peace of mind…

Now my camera is water proof. And I carry my cell phone with the power OFF. All eletronic can deal with moister better when they’re OFF. Just make sure you dry them off real well before turning them back on!

another idea
Definetely stay away from ziploc bags of any sort. Here’s another type of container i’ve been using with great success- little orange bucket with screw-on lid with a rubber o-ring seal. the type ‘boat safety kits’(rope/whistle/waterproof flashlight) come in. very cheap and totaly waterproof, except the rubber ring likes to fall out sometimes. And lexan jars with screw-on lids are good and waterproof too and cheap. both great for storing keys/cellphone/wallet or camera

Any wide mouth plastic jar big enough
take what you want to put in it will work, at least for a while.

To each his own…
…there’s more than one way to enjoy this sport. If I have to be accessible by phone for personal or business reasons, and the alternative is to stay home, I’ll carry the phone.

NALGENE
If it’ll keep water IN, it will keep water OUT!

I use a bottle clipped to the inside adjustment strap of my seatback…it doubles as a knee roll underneath my right knee when I’m paddling.

Ziplocks are useful for organizing items
that go into dry bags. They haven’t been reliable outside of a dry bag.

I use plastic jars inside dry bags when I need a non-crush container. Also handy for guests’ stuff on day trips.