zip-lock input needed

Actually I’m not advocating
zip-lock bags. I don’t use them, but I wanted to make the point that multiple sub-optimal solutions can actually achieve similar performance to better designed equipment.

Let’s say a conventional dry bag has a 1% (or 0.01) failure rate (it will fail once in a hundred uses) and a zip lock bag a 10% (0.1) failure rate. By putting one zip-lock inside another the probability of failure drops to 0.1 x 0.1 = 0.01 i.e., the same as the dry bag.

Of course, putting an item in a zip lock, inside a dry bag, inside a dry compartment is even better.

Also, if the failure rate of a zip lock is actually 1, then this analysis is moot

So I did your test…
and yes, water will get into a zip-lock bag that’s held under water for 5 minutes.

But, because only the equivalent of a few drops make it inside, material stored within a further zip lock are perfectly dry.

Would the OP be better off with a proper dry bag than with a zip lock bag? Definitely yes!

Is a dry bag better than two nested zip-locks? Probably yes, but not by much.

Perhaps people should consider double wrapping sensitive electronics in a zip-lock within a dry bag?

yes
A dry bag with any air in it will “inhale” when it hits cold water. The air contracts and a little water comes in. That’s why boxes are better than bags for total dryness. But if you’re using a bag for electronics, a secondary system is much better than just a bag alone.

That said, I carried my phone in a plastic pickle jar for years. There’s usually more than one way to do the job.

not costly
The Aloksak bags are really durable, and cost about two bucks, if I recall. You can find them on Amazon. I keep things like flares in them, and I get about a year of pretty heavy use out of them, before they start to get worn out. And they are truly waterproof.

If…
If the items that are going to be packed into “something” are expensive/electronic items; invest in a Pelican case.

I used mine(numerous whitewater exposures) for over 10 years to carry a camera & keys. It has been in use by my wife for an additional 5 years, to carry her camera, cell phone, & keys. Still waterproof after 15 years. Averages cost per year; about 3 dollars.

BOB

peanut butter jar
Yopu can get them in all sizes, see inside, they are unbreakable, duct-tape a D-ring to themand clip it to the boat.

PLUS, with every purchase,they give you FREE PEANUT BUTTER!!!

I’ve done the zip-lock thing untilI could afford a decent dry-bag and found that whateveryou put inside WILL get wet! guaranteed!

Still, if that is all you can afford, put yopur stuff into one zip-loc, fold the seal over and insert into a second zip-lock. Fold that seal over and insert into a third zip-loc.

Your stuff will still get wet but to takes moretime and effort so your chances are better.

Pelican 1010…
$12 and 100% re-usable, ALL THE TIME.

Paddle easy,

Coffee