When did you start on P-net (now P-com)

Was I the only one who didn’t know it was him?

@daggermat said:
haven’t been here for quite some time…just looked it up, surprised I remembered my password. Looks like 2005 was my first post, seeking advice on a second canoe. Bought that Dumoine…then two Encores, got a Flashback, a Whitesell, a squirtboat, 2 C1’s…had 13 boats for awhile, from 8-28’ long. Down to 4 canoes now, get out poling on occasion, but life’s a journey and I am exploring other activities more these days. Some days it just feels good to be dry.

Missing you Matt - you need to get back out in the boat!

@eckilson said:
Was I the only one who didn’t know it was him?

Tchuck was not Pamlico14. I know his real name, and don’t plan to share it. I got an email years ago from him, Tsunamichuck was a recipient of the same email.

The mystery continues…

As far as Pamlico, I also got a couple of emails from him. That were block-worthy, did not reveal who he was. Definitely not any of the regular folks, they would not have gone that far.

By 2004 or 5 I think for pnet, making me a younger dinosaur than some but still of another era. I rather prefer that time to today’s news headlines.

Raystown, back in 2008, if memory serves me correct, that was the largest group we had, nearly 100 individuals and 200 boats.

David Yost, the most prolific canoe designer, in a kayak.

Look at all the solo canoes - I recognize Ness, but no one else.

From left to right…Shawn, Mintjulep, Scottb, me, and Conk

Dem "ole hounds could hunt!

And look over your capo there, Andreus. The venerable MSR boudoir of the Sultan of Carlisle, PA, himself!. And to said tent’s shoreward:
The Pleasure Palace of Arugula Kahn!
Nearly madcap as Madeline - more wilted, less blonde.
The Thrillin’ Pavilion of MSR Nights.
Careful of prone Hap in stance - many tripped there day 'n night.

@Andy_Szymczak I remember being at that “race number” campsite. What a time! As I recall, someone started making mint juleps.

Before the existence of “Bob Dollahs”.

2001 I think. I guess my big reminiscers are:
WGIVEN. Before there was a Bicker and Banter Walt tried to calm folks down. He said ‘We are way more alike than we are different.’ I thought that was genius. When he died his obituary stated that he was in Mensa. He really WAS a genius

I got to paddle with LIV2PADDLE, aka Dan Colodney. I have yet to see anyone hold a paddle the way he did. It was like he wasn’t holding the thing; it was glued to HIM.

May 2004. Has it really been that long.
Kayak_Ken

@Rex said:
2001 I think. I guess my big reminiscers are:
WGIVEN. Before there was a Bicker and Banter Walt tried to calm folks down. He said ‘We are way more alike than we are different.’ I thought that was genius. When he died his obituary stated that he was in Mensa. He really WAS a genius

I got to paddle with LIV2PADDLE, aka Dan Colodney. I have yet to see anyone hold a paddle the way he did. It was like he wasn’t holding the thing; it was glued to HIM.

I’ve missed Dr. Swartzwalt.

Missed this post earlier…

Had to take that stroll through memory lane to find it, but my first visit here dates to 2007. Being out west here in “what the heck is a canoe?” country, I would have been lost without all the help from the group here at P.net/com. Yeah - I missed the golden days of solo canoeing, or canoeing in general here in Idaho. But we have a small group here now that is making headway in making canoeing great again.

Only active P.netter I’ve met (besides a couple locals who were in and out of here) is Daggermat. We had a fun poling rendezvous in Bend on the Deschutes river. I hope to do that again, and to meet more of you in the near future.

and pix to prove it…fun month it was. Son became a Marine (done now, has a great career for a contractor now in his favorite pastime). Many thanks to Steve for providing a canoe, and google earth for us to find a put in, while 2500 miles apart, and in my case, 2300 from said put in. Edit…numbers are off, think it was more like 2000 apart and 2500 from put in…think I set a personal varietal mileage record that month between flying, hiking, poling etc…
Hey Steve. I dropped FB, too many friends getting hacked and not a fan of zucks leanings. I’m over on Mewe, same name.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3oJoppyEfrNe4No8

I’m back on Pnet after a long hiatus. I started posting around 1999, but mostly lurked and soaked up the knowledge to be found here. The oldest post I can remember making and still find is our review of the Aleut Sea II we did in 2000. We kind of faded out of paddling when my kids hit their teens. There was just too damn much going on with them.

My wife and I sent our youngest off to college this fall and have been in the boats again more in the last three months than in the last 3 years. I’m older now, probably no wiser, and definitely much weaker with a crappy spine. I am looking forward to selling all the rest of my heavy boats and picking up a shiny new kevlar hull some time this winter-early spring. The good news for me is that my wife and I still really like paddling together and I still feel good on the water.

It’s nice to see names I can remember from way back when.

1 Like

LOOKS LIKE FOURTEEN PLUS YEARS, AND A BIT OF PRIOR LURKING

That ScupperFrank fellow -he got any priors…?

…Yeah, couple years for lurking…

I checked back in the archives (P.Net=>P.Com’s, not mine, LOL), and I find an April 2004 date for reference.

Lotta water, and some fine people who happened to be paddlers, under the bridge in that time…

Still here, after all those years, as it is an interesting and diverse group to hang around, and, from time-to-time, with whom to

PADDLE ON!

Frank in Miami

1 Like

I got here in 2004 via recommendation of Mr. McCrae. We both used to participate in a board run by the Monocacy Canoe Club: Paddle Prattle, which is still around. As I recall, Mike was unhappy about something or someone on Paddle Prattle, swore off, and started posting to P-net. He recommended it to me. Funny, and sad, but I think the same thing happened on p-net, and he stopped participating in this community, too. Sad, because he originated a lot of great content.

P-net was great for me. I met and paddled with a lot of people from this community. Raystown provided some of the most fun outings I had during that era. Not only fun, but very informative. I got to paddle lots of boats and learn lots from the great paddlers who attended. But, life is change, and those times are in the past.

Many thanks to folks like Kayak Ken, DougD, Daggermat and others who later took me out and showed me some of their home waters. I still use a set of maps Jsaults sent me out of the blue. And NT inspired me to build some of my own paddles. And, McCrae. What can I say. One of a kind who gave generously to scores, if not hundreds of paddlers. All due to p-net.

Obviously, I’m still following along, but the internet has matured and life has changed.

~~Chip

1 Like