Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First swim of 2017

Last year, my first swim of the year was on January 1st, and I swam again before the month was out. This year it took a little longer, but I finally had my first swim of 2017.

With Father’s Day coming, I knew it would be tough to get out this weekend, so I decided to join the local AMC group on their Thursday night run at Tville in CT. Tville is a run that I do often. It has some nice surf spots above the Gorge, and a couple of pool drops in the Gorge. The highlight of the trip for most is the playhole.

Being the only canoe (without a roll) with a bunch of kayakers (with rolls), I usually skip the playhole and focus on taking pictures. I had tried it once before at about the same level, bounced around for a few seconds before backing out with the boat still upright, and considered myself lucky. It didn’t look too bad on Thursday, so I decided to give it a try again.

I ventured in and the boat immediately got swung around sideways. I side surfed for a couple of seconds before doing a couple of forward strokes to get myself out. I was almost out when the boat hit the stronger downstream current at the edge of the hole, shifted upstream, and over I went.

Playhole Swim

I gave the boat a good push thinking that would get it over to the eddy, but in the strong current it continued downstream – and me with it. I decided that I had better focus on getting myself to shore, which I did. My boat went over the next drop before the crew as able to push it into an eddy.

Even with the swim, it was another fun trip, and I remain captain of the swim team for 2017!

Few more pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157682253161303/with/35357931045/

Comments

• "I had it made--Why did I ever let those kayakers con me in to messing about with that playhole?"
    (Well, Captain. At least you waited this year until June when things warmed-up a bit(which is more than can be said for my own involuntary first swim of 2017. ;)

• Cool, I presume?

• Always enjoy photos of your fun adventures, Erik.

• There's a vortex in which the little yaks squirt,
    and twist and flip roll play,
    with bipolar tale they flail and flail,
    wave-to-wave they glide away,

but for big gnu this just won't do,
    whilst in their one-legged doggy paddle,
    with a sideways buck they often like to chuck,
    into the trough riders from the saddle.

• @canoeswithduckheads said:
    with a sideways buck they often like to chuck,
    into the trough riders from the saddle.

So true - at least if you paddle like me.

Thanks.