Is there anyone on here under 50?

I detect a huge amount of experience here.

I’ll need to check my birth certificate. It’s with the rest of the clay tablets in the root cellar.

Physically or mentally?

Over 50, by about 5 months. Just a minnow on this site.

Ah’s sat thaar an’ ett popcorn an’ Spam at de Big Bang . Wat a show dat wuz!

One year below, but I started on this site in my early 40s

Yea in 2002 lol

I hit “when I get older, loosing my hair” last Nov.

@FatElmo said:

Hey FE! Long time no hear.

@FatElmo said:

I think I remember how dark it was just before the show, or was that when I did my middle of the night relief trip to the throne!

No, but I can still remember when I was.

I vaguely remember; working 10 hour days in a pressure filled job. Paddling once in awhile. Still had teens at home.
I don’t miss 50.

I was 45 when I started here. Now I’m 59.

That is very diplomatic of you, String, to say that you detect a lot of experience here. There are a lot of other ways to express that idea!

Are paddlers a dying breed, or is what we see here simply a reflection of the fact that young people don’t mess around with anything as outdated as message boards? Oh, and I’m pretty sure that solo canoe paddlers ARE a dying breed. I can only remember seeing one person in a solo canoe in the last several years who wasn’t close to 60 at the youngest.

@Guideboatguy said:
I was 45 when I started here. Now I’m 59.

That is very diplomatic of you, String, to say that you detect a lot of experience here. There are a lot of other ways to express that idea!

Are paddlers a dying breed, or is what we see here simply a reflection of the fact that young people don’t mess around with anything as outdated as message boards? Oh, and I’m pretty sure that solo canoe paddlers ARE a dying breed. I can only remember seeing one person in a solo canoe in the last several years who wasn’t close to 60 at the youngest.

I am always impressed with the paddling knowledge of many people on this board. I have no idea when I started paddling. Somewhere in the 80s, I think. I’m 10 years older than you.

I think the younger paddlers are more common in Europe. I paddled with, and spotted, a good ratio of folks under 40 on the rivers when I was in the UK last year, In fact one was a 16 year old girl who paddles her own Swift solo canoe! To prove it, here’s a shot of her getting help to push over a snag. Her 40-ish dad had his own, shared with sheepdog, Ira.

@willowleaf said:
I think the younger paddlers are more common in Europe.
Both sea kayaking and surf kayaking are quite new sports in most of Europe. I think only UK and Ireland have a longer tradition. I don’t know about white water kayaking - it is popular in some European countries, but I don’t know how old the sport is there.

And what you call recreational kayaks, I don’t think I have ever seen here. We have some fishing kayaks, and people go out in rented, open canoes, but that’s it.

In sea kayaking we are also quite old when we start, but since it is a new sport, most of us haven’t grown much older yet. I started at age 47. 2½ years later I taught my first beginner class, and only 1 of 12 participants was younger than me.

My birth certificate says I was born in Pangea.

@string said:

@FatElmo said:

Hey FE! Long time no hear.

Don’t worry String. What with all that time to digest, I suspect we’ll all be hearing loud-n-clear from FE quite soon. As in, Big Bang II/The Burnin’ Down the Johnny House Sessions

(And Tang returned to outer space.
Orion’s Belt became a very foul place.
Major Tom wept, “I’m losing ground control.”
From Wa’Ho to just woe on pilgrim universal stroll.)

I’m exceptionally immature for my age and I can prove it

Drove past 50 a few years back. My wife however is 21.