Is there anyone on here under 50?

@willowleaf said:
I think the younger paddlers are more common in Europe.

Their cars are too small to carry kayaks or canoes.

@DrowningDave said:

@willowleaf said:

Anything is possible if you try.

There’s always one rebel in the crowd. :slight_smile:

@Rookie said:

@DrowningDave said:

@willowleaf said:

Anything is possible if you try.

Somewhere over the Marianas Trench,
the surfski bogged down on its last leg,
and a red-headed scientist arose to deeper trouble,
Alvin was just impaled upon a skeg.

“Ouch! That car smarts!”

@DrowningDave said:
Drove past 50 a few years back. My wife however is 21.

You are a braver, or richer , man than I am.

I’m only going by what she tells.

@DrowningDave said:
I’m only going by what she tells.

My wife is 39.

I was 50 in 2000, but it didn’t last long.

“Is there anyone on here under 50?”

I plead not guilty.

I just checked. Chronologically, yes, still under 50. Mentally, WAY under 50! No check needed on that part.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Under 50? Surely you jest…
I did my first solo trip in a canoe in the 1950s.
My daughter recently had her 48th birthday.

BOB

@string said:

@FatElmo said:
Ah’s sat thaar an’ ett popcorn an’ Spam at de Big Bang . Wat a show dat wuz!

Hey FE! Long time no hear.

Wha Ho, Pilgrims. Wuz gone fer a spell… wus mindin’ me own business waan de Mingos bushwhacked me, knocked me on de noggin’ an’ hauled me off an’ traded me fer some Spam an’ Tang ta some polecat fro’ Fort Collins. Waan ah’s comes to ah’s found ah’ wuz tied up in a red Pamilco 140. Dems tried ta force me ta join dis here cult - The Church Of P140 - an’ tried ta toyn me inta a kayaker. Wanted me ta woyship some Gray Thing. Well, none o’ dat mule turds fer me., pilgrims. Managed ta untied me’self an’ hopped de walls an’ runned like all hyades back ta Joisey. No dag-blamed, no good-er-nuttin’ punk kid fro’ Fort Collins wuz gon’na toyn me inta no dag-gone 'yaker… no how! Ah’s back!

@DrowningDave said:

@willowleaf said:

The Brits, at least, seem to have far more local paddling clubs that have their own boathouses and launching docks, right on the rivers. They keep their boats right at the water and only have to haul them on shuttles. Besides, car size is not a factor in hauling boats – one of my friends hauls her daughter’s 19’ surf ski on a Smart car. I used to haul my Sea Snark sailboat on the roof of a 1978 Datsun B210.

The Brits have always been very determined people. This proves it.

Holy Huckleberries, FE! Sounds alot like Last of the WhaHohegans. So, Punkas kidnapped you to parade before the Great Gray Thing Chief, eh? Did Danny Day Lewis come a pantin’ down the trail with his super musket to rescue your tookas? I think he’s got the hots stockin tales for ya.

Next time we’ll send Chunky Pam and the night shift from Palantino Brothers Butcher Shop to rescue you.

So Guideboatguy sez:
“Are paddlers a dying breed, or is what we see here simply a reflection of the fact that young people don’t mess around with anything as outdated as message boards?”

Well, yesterday I was wondering the same thing myself. I had some stuff to buy at Barnes & Noble bookstore and found myself hanging out by the magazines killing time while a youngster I was with went to the john. Couldn’t help noticing that here in Madison WI there were mountaineering mags, bluewater sailing mags, several surfing publications and nothing on paddling - well, except the two on SUPs. It does make me feel like there’s something I’m missing. Where is the readership for paddling mags?

But there is hope also. A friend of mine has a daughter who spent a lot of time with Outward Bound. She is now staying with him, more or less, but has just returned from a recent trip with a friend of hers to see him off on a paddling trip. He’s under 50 and has put up a blog to it… I desperately want to believe our sport isn’t dying after being practiced for so many centuries here in N. America. I hope, like this guy, the under 50 crowd is just out paddling and blogging somewhere where we don’t notice it. He’s definitely paddling though… Here’s his link:

https://futurewaterpaddling.com/

Great to here from FE! Its like hearing Festus returning to the bar in Dodge City after a long absence.

@PJC said:
I hope, like this guy, the under 50 crowd is just out paddling and blogging somewhere where we don’t notice it. He’s definitely paddling though… Here’s his link:

https://futurewaterpaddling.com/

I’ve been following Calvin Croll’s trip … circumnavigating Vancouver Island … in the winter.

@Guideboatguy said:
I was 45 when I started here. Now I’m 59.

That is very diplomatic of you, String, to say that you detect a lot of experience here. There are a lot of other ways to express that idea!

Are paddlers a dying breed, or is what we see here simply a reflection of the fact that young people don’t mess around with anything as outdated as message boards? Oh, and I’m pretty sure that solo canoe paddlers ARE a dying breed. I can only remember seeing one person in a solo canoe in the last several years who wasn’t close to 60 at the youngest.

Hey, I’m only 55, but with my gray hair, I probably look older :’(

When I first started posting here back in 2000 I was under 50. Does that count?

@ rsevenic said:
I’ve been following Calvin Croll’s trip … circumnavigating Vancouver Island … in the winter.

Where did you hear about it?

I think I was about 50, maybe a bit under, when I first started coming here and so, like others of my age group I’d assume, I don’t know where one would go to find blogs such as Calvin Croll’s. If there are a bunch of under 50 paddlers out there doing ambitious trips and things we’d all probably like to know about, where can they be found? I just lucked into this one… there must be ways of keeping up with this other than just simple word of mouth? So what’s being used now to locate such info that’s better than an old-fashioned message board?