Is there anyone on here under 50?

I was under 50 when I first found Pnet, There are 194 pages of photos of the week, with 5 photos on each page, that works out to 18.6 years My first photo of the week is on page 192. https://paddling.com/community/photos/p192/

Past 50 fifteen years ago. My maturity level is a couple of decades behind though.

There are some young ones out there that dream big & follow through. I think that people here followed them on their trip.
http://www.rediscoverna.com/
Full video is out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itNjrTR4nxY&feature=youtu.be

@PJC said:
@ rsevenic said:
I’ve been following Calvin Croll’s trip … circumnavigating Vancouver Island … in the winter.

Where did you hear about it?
I recall that it was referenced on the Body, Boat, Blade website (Orcas Island).

30 Years Old here!

I will be honest, I mostly lurk on here and soak up all the good info, I never feel I have much to add fact-wise, and most other advice I could give would be pure regurgitation.

Here in Michigan,(Metro Detroit, specifically) there are a lot of young paddlers, and just about everyone I know went on some type of canoe trip along the way growing up.

I was lucky to grow up with a family who appreciate the outdoors, my brother and I bought our first Old Towne canoe (end of season floor model Guide from Dunhams) with lawn cutting money before we could drive (legally :wink: )And we still have it! I have paddled in 3 countries, 5 states and now own 2 kayaks and 2 canoes. Paddling has become a big part of my life.

@Tortoise said:
30 Years Old here!

I will be honest, I mostly lurk on here and soak up all the good info, I never feel I have much to add fact-wise, and most other advice I could give would be pure regurgitation.

Here in Michigan,(Metro Detroit, specifically) there are a lot of young paddlers, and just about everyone I know went on some type of canoe trip along the way growing up.

I was lucky to grow up with a family who appreciate the outdoors, my brother and I bought our first Old Towne canoe (end of season floor model Guide from Dunhams) with lawn cutting money before we could drive (legally :wink: )And we still have it! I have paddled in 3 countries, 5 states and now own 2 kayaks and 2 canoes. Paddling has become a big part of my life.

Good to hear.

@dmpeng said:
… My maturity level is a couple of decades behind though.

On a canoe trip this past summer, someone asked me if I was going thru my 2nd or 3rd childhood. My 48 yo son quickly responded that I hadn’t yet gotten out of my 1st.

Just remember: …aging is mandatory; maturity is optional :stuck_out_tongue:

Older than the “Gray Thing.” --Now shut up and pass the Geritol, will ya?

(BTW, isn’t that yellow crime scene tape on the bow and stern of that pictured spray painted kayak?)

50 ? I started serious paddling at 67. :slight_smile:

@Tortoise said:
30 Years Old here!

Hey Tortoise, just FYI there’s a paddling club called Great Lakes Paddlers out your way (greatlakespaddlers.org). I think they would welcome participation and influence from you and your friends.

I know several young paddlers. Most have young families, large mortgage payments, and paddle ‘big box store’ rec boats with cheap paddles and pfds. Like them now, I paddled occasionally in a rec boat for a number of years because, for various reasons, better boats were not in the budget. In 2011, I bought my first touring boat and was hooked.

Why be under 50 when you can be over 50?

Anyone under 50? Well not me . Started kayaking at 75 (now 80). As far as experience goes first years experience 5 times !

@TomL said:

@Tortoise said:
30 Years Old here!

Hey Tortoise, just FYI there’s a paddling club called Great Lakes Paddlers out your way (greatlakespaddlers.org). I think they would welcome participation and influence from you and your friends.

Thanks Tom- I think I have seen them around on the water. There are a couple other smaller groups we meet up with as well.

Almost all the paddlers are know are either BK (before kids) or AK (after kids). Tough to find time to paddle in those middle years.

Yes. Just hit 47. I was the youngest in our local club, but we have a 19y/o now.

@eckilson said:
Almost all the paddlers are know are either BK (before kids) or AK (after kids). Tough to find time to paddle in those middle years.

Somehow, I got more done when I was in those middle years. I look at the improvements I did to this old house and know I can’t do it now.

Was under 50… when I started early on on this message board. Watch this PNet crew getting older and thinner, as the number of old PNetters peels away with injuries and death.

Participation on this board is nowhere as robust as it was early to mid 2000s. Could be social media has overtaken the message board format and/or “paddlers” are a dwindling breed.

sing

I’ve been paddling since the sixties and I see more kaykers now then I ever saw in the past. Even in the nineties it was rare to see another kayak except for white water. Not sure if the sport is growing but it sure looks like it to me.

Well, as a few other posters said, I was well under 50 when I started perusing P.net. Unfortunately, the clock keeps ticking at an increasingly dizzying rate. I’m thinking that “Message forums” aren’t as in vogue to younger folks? But I’m doing my best to initiate another generation of paddlers: