Spring yesterday, winter today

40 degrees and sunny yesterday, 6 inches of snow today. No matter. I got out to paddle my local run on the Blackstone River yesterday. The first half mile of this run is quickwater with a couple of easy class I/II waves. I often come down here to play around, and than walk back up to get my car. This was last spring in my Yellowstone Solo (no special effects have been added to this video :wink: ):

https://vimeo.com/207039036

Yesterday I was paddling tandem, and since my partner ripped the gasket on his drysuit and no longer fits in his wetsuit, he told me he would be paddling without cold water gear (but with a change of cloths in a dry bag), so nothing too ambitious. I knew that wasn’t going to happen if I had my drysuit on, so I didn’t wear cold water gear either. Water around here is still in the mid-30’s, so that was pretty effective in keeping me out of the waves. It’s about a 6-mile run with two dams to portage.

Erik and Bill

Nice day - few more pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157690552316622

Yup. Just shoveled about 5" of wet snow off the walks. Looks like medium period waisthigh waves tomorrow as the storm moves farther out to sea.

Most important - sun is coming up earlier and setting later. Riding home after work in fading sunlight better than doing so in the dark. Spring is peeking. :slight_smile:

Looks to be “normal” white water season given the avg snowfall we have had (thankfully).

sing

Greenland frame peeking out from under a cover of new snow.

The Pointed Pergola,
she looks good in winter chine.
But she’ll show her hidden beauty,
when Greenland springs it’s leafy vine.

Now I know what going nowhere fast means. I love sun on the snow.

Ice, ice and more ice here.

The little, fast moving storm that went by produced better than expected waves this morning. Found spring like conditions - sunny skies, with air and water temps in the upper 30’s. Waist to chest high waves with 10 second intervals, cleaned up by a brisk diagonal offshore to clean up the wave faces.

Really digging the new Infinity Stinger longboard. Good speed and wide nose that pops over the foam piles well on the sprint out.

Mahalo!

sing

@sing said:
The little, fast moving storm that went by produced better than expected waves this morning. Found spring like conditions - sunny skies, with air and water temps in the upper 30’s. Waist to chest high waves with 10 second intervals, cleaned up by a brisk diagonal offshore to clean up the wave faces.

Really digging the new Infinity Stinger longboard. Good speed and wide nose that pops over the foam piles well on the sprint out.

Mahalo!

sing

Do you ride it standing or sitting?

Its a “surf kayak” . Sit on the black seat with seat belt. Then feet in the foot things. A sit on top you can roll.

Looks like Nantasket?
Waves looked good on the cam, but the kid is home on vacation this week, so hopefully something will blow in next week.
Dragged the surfboat onto the porch to work on the outfitting, so need to get it dialed in before I head out again.
That longboard looks like fun!

@Overstreet said:
Its a “surf kayak” . Sit on the black seat with seat belt. Then feet in the foot things. A sit on top you can roll.

That’s what I thought. Thanks.

needed: glossary with pictures for those of us who mostly stick with the seakayak:

waveski, surfski, jetski(no skip that), surf kayak, …

now on another topic
what’s faster, a k1 or surfski (note: k1 is regulated (length) for competition, surfski, not so much)

indeed, Spring must be on it’s way with thoughts such as these

@Johnnysmoke said:
Looks like Nantasket?
Waves looked good on the cam, but the kid is home on vacation this week, so hopefully something will blow in next week.
Dragged the surfboat onto the porch to work on the outfitting, so need to get it dialed in before I head out again.
That longboard looks like fun!

Yup. Went to 'tasket instead of the homebreak where the seawall and sidewalks are being fixed and parking has been iffy there. Have to tell you… it’s more work paddling out through the breakzone at 'tasket than at the homebreak. Had to deal with more lines of closeout waves than the predictable peeling breaks created by the rocky bottom at my homebreak. I did find a massive rip that provided an easier sprint out but the wind would keep blowing me down and away. Had to reposition a lot. Also, a bit harder to find the right peeling vs a closeout wave.

Still a great, 3 hour long morning session. Gave up when I started feeling the ab strain from constant edge control of the waveski and impact zone rolling. Did not feel the cold with the 5/4 wetsuit, 7 mm booties and the NRS mitts.

Sadly, looks like a long forecast for another wave generating storm next week. But I’ll be in Mississippi for work. No surf there. :frowning:

sing

Yes, Nantasket is a bit of work to get out.
I’ve been there on days when the local boardies couldn’t get out back, and even though I was younger and stronger, I couldn’t paddle out of the break zone, even trying to roll through the breaking waves. If it’s short period bigger waves, it’s like getting repeatedly slapped in the face, and you don’t have enough time to shake it off before the next one gets you. I’ve become a bit more discerning about what I’m willing to get out on. And using the rips to get out is definitely key. I’ve watched some of the better boardies who will use the rips to get out, get a sweet little ride, use the rip to reposition again, then get a really nice long diagonal ride across the beach,
You’re also right about really needing to watch the water, to guess what’s going to be a junk closeout wave, and what might be a good ride. Both types of wave can come in on the same spot, and that spot can move around as the tide changes. I often bail on a wave if I realize it’s going to close out, rather than get thrashed into the beach.
And it really is big and open. Although there are a fair amount of visual markers, it can be hard to pick a good spot and stay put on it, without drifting around too much. Lots of current and wind,
I figure it’s probably not the best beach for kayak surfing, but if I can hold my own there, and even get the occasional decent ride, then my skills are going to be good enough when I hit a nice point break somewhere else. And it’s only half an hour away, so the convenience factor is high.
With small waves, have had fun parking where the surfers all congregate, walking the boat to the south end of the beach, and surfing back to my car.

Record highs in Pittsburgh, PA, today: 78 F!! Two weeks ago many of the rivers here were frozen over and we had heavy snow early last week…

Going to hit 70 today around here in southern New England. We had snow earlier this week, and may get some later this week. Crazy weather, but no ice in the rivers around here. Most of the lakes and ponds have opened up now too. But the water is still COLD - mid to high 30’s. Hope to get out this weekend.

@Johnnysmoke said:
I often bail on a wave if I realize it’s going to close out, rather than get thrashed into the beach.
And it really is big and open. Although there are a fair amount of visual markers, it can be hard to pick a good spot and stay put on it, without drifting around too much. Lots of current and wind,
I figure it’s probably not the best beach for kayak surfing, but if I can hold my own there, and even get the occasional decent ride, then my skills are going to be good enough when I hit a nice point break somewhere else. And it’s only half an hour away, so the convenience factor is high.

Here’s the thing tho… If you get consistent peeling waves (rather than “closeouts”), you have far more opportunities to ride in front of the peeling pocket and practice roller coastering, cutbacks, bottom and top turns, as well as floaters. High quality waves really allow you to practice and take your wave riding, technical skills up another notch. Bigger days on a beach break like 'tasket REALLY seems to be about testing the level of your endurance on the sprint out – sprinkled liberally with opportunities for testing one’s bracing and combat rolling. LOL! >:)

Don’t know if you’ve noticed, but we are missing out. There has been a 13 second 2.5’ swell all freakin’ day today. We talking some some good, mellow fun rides, especially for someone getting back on the surf saddle after a lay-off. :wink:

sing

Too bad the only riding today is the bike ride home, albeit in 70 degrees and lingering sunlight. B) Winter comes back tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Winter’s back tomorrow then looks like the 50s for the weekend.
My 4 year old has winter break, so I’m watching him all week, so I’m trying to not check the cams too frequently this week.
I started physical therapy for a shoulder impingement, so hopefully will start to get that sorted out, before getting after it too much.
But I am eyeing Monday’s surf forecast of 3 feet with interest, temps in the 50s, and the kid back in preschool.

@Johnnysmoke said:
Winter’s back tomorrow then looks like the 50s for the weekend.
My 4 year old has winter break, so I’m watching him all week, so I’m trying to not check the cams too frequently this week.
I started physical therapy for a shoulder impingement, so hopefully will start to get that sorted out, before getting after it too much.
But I am eyeing Monday’s surf forecast of 3 feet with interest, temps in the 50s, and the kid back in preschool.

I am heading out of town on Sunday… Just as the waves are forecasted to build. :frowning:

You and I should hook up sometime. I would be glad to take you to my homebreak sometime so you can better appreciate the difference in quality of waves between an ever-shifting beach break from the set waves of a reef or point break. :wink:

BTW, I never appreciated the difference until I went to the Santa Cruz surf kayak contests. The point break waves at Santa Cruz really opened my eyes to the appreciation of higher quality, set waves, like what I found at my homebreak.

sing

We’ve had virtually no winter here is the Salt Lake Valley Utah. A couple snow storms back in December and early Jan. but temps in the 40s -almost 60s in between. Now winter is back. We got 25 inches between Sunday night and Tuesday. More coming tomorrow & Saturday. I started planning for spring Southern Utah paddling trips today.