This one is especially tragic

http://www.cbs3duluth.com/story/39002340/breaking-three-dead-following-canoe-capsize-in-apostle-islands-search-underway-for-missing-canoeist?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_CBS_3_Duluth

:frowning:

They also tell us the kayak used by the family was what they call a “sit-on-top” kayak, and is un-recoverable.

I wonder - what is up with that?

Tragic seems like an understatement. My heart aches for the mother and the family. Wearing a life vest wasn’t enough. Our best safety gear is kept between our ears. Sort of wish I hadn’t seen this thread this morning. Very sad.

A loss like this is never good, but this one (like many) is a series of bad decisions leading downhill.

District 9 Master Chief of Public Affairs Alan Haraf says all five people who were out on the water were in one kayak.

There are few (if any) commercially available SOTs that safely hold this many occupants.

Haraf says the family visited the area frequently, and were considered experienced kayakers, and water temperature was in the low 60’s.

Experienced, maybe. Educated? Apparently not. Five people, 3 of them minors with presumably low thermal mass, on a SOT in water that dictates immersion protection.

Authorities tell us while this family of tourists visiting Madeline Island was out on the lake, the weather in the area started to change, causing wave swells between 3 and 4 feet.

Completely unsurprising conditions for Lake Superior, and almost certainly foretold in a marine forecast.

Few deserve fatal consequences from their actions, but more need to understand risk assessment and minimization.

What surprises me is that this doesn’t happen more often. I see people going out every day completely unprepared and/or in completely inadequate watercraft for the big lake. Even very experienced kayaker friends say “Oh the water temp is in the 60’s, its swimming temperature so you don’t need to wear anything”.

But 60s can kill you pretty quick too. Of course the real problem is that people underestimate the lake and overestimate their ability, so they don’t think they are going to be in the water at all. A very tragic but very common mindset.

Water Temperature Expected Time Before Exhaustion or Unconsciousness Expected Time of Survival
(°F) (°C)
32.5° 0.3° < 15 minutes 45 minutes
32.5–40° 0.3–4.4° 15 – 30 minutes 30 – 90 minutes
40–50° 3.3–10° 30 – 60 minutes 1 – 3 hours
50–60° 10–15.6° 1 – 2 hours 1 – 6 hours
60–70° 15.6–21.1° 2 – 7 hours 2 – 40 hours
70–80° 21.1–26.7° 3 – 12 hours 3 hours – indefinite

80° > 26.7° Indefinite Indefinite

The National Center for Cold Water Safety says anything under 70 should be considered “dangerous”

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/WhatIsCold.html

But the truth is, people consider 60 degree water on Lake Superior downright tropical.

In my opinion, people’s safety awareness is focused too narrowly on PFDs.

Whenever something bad happens, people go off: “I bet they didn’t use a PFD!”.

It is almost never: “I bet they weren’t dressed for the water temperature!”

And certainly never: “I bet they hadn’t practised what to do after a capsize!”

Well, this incident shows that the two latter subjects may need more public awareness.

@Allan Olesen said:

Well, this incident shows that the two latter subjects may need more public awareness.

Ditto!
When on the water and before we need to be using our head as much as our paddle. Unfortunately many folks don’t know what they don’t know, and don’t seem interested in learning.

I too have to wonder about the boat used. Reporters often have less knowledge than the folks they are reporting about and rely on the info they are given. Many really don’t know what are the pertinent questions to be asked.

@Allan Olesen said:
In my opinion, people’s safety awareness is focused too narrowly on PFDs.

Whenever something bad happens, people go off: “I bet they didn’t use a PFD!”.

Well, in all fairness, drowning due to not wearing a PFD is probably the most common reason people die kayaking although I could be wrong. You’re completely right that all the other elements of safety are under emphasized. People are introduced to kayaking with the mantra “Kayaking is a safe sport!” rather than “Kayaking is a dangerous sport unless you are very educated and well-prepared”.

That doesnt sell nearly as many kayaks.

Remembering a paddle between Stockton and Oak Island in the Apostles…same area… Started from Stockton so nice and calm an hour later the waves were wild yet no change in the weather… There might be some feature of topography that leads to funnelling… We got to Oak Island with four foot waves crashing over the dock… getting out was an adventure.
We had a marine radio and knew that the winds would kick up and we were running a little late…
Reminds me of the three deaths here two years ago where a guide and his clients all died because they all got washed out of their boats in a sudden storm… The radio for an SOS was in the cockpit and the guide not. The lack of a proper signalling device delayed the discovery of the event for four hours. By then it was too late…boats had gone one way and the people with the current… separated… Hours in 50 or 60 degree water.

I’m a canoe person but I was thinking about this tragedy and wondering exactly what “rules of thumb” were violated. Sounds like lack of prep for cold water plus lack of self rescue capability…but no one mentioned lack of a capable communication device or any guideline for swimming ability. Hmm. To me it is disappointing that the Coast Guard can’t even offer a link to the press that guides people to a simple summary of safety recommendations.

@qajaqman said:

Well, in all fairness, drowning due to not wearing a PFD is probably the most common reason people die kayaking although I could be wrong.

To add to the fairness: A PFD will also help against the heat loss. Not because it insulates, but because you will have to move less to keep yourself afloat - and moving in cold water will accelerate the heat loss.

So I am not saying that anyone should back down on the PFD awareness. I am just so naive that I think people could handle one or two more basic messages without forgetting the first one.

This event is so horrific I can’t wrap my head around it. Two adults and three little kids in one kayak. Workable maybe close to shore - but their crossings were two miles or more. Some reports claim it was 13-feet long, but I can’t imagine how that’s possible.

I hope the surviving mother/wife gets counseling to help her deal with this monumental loss.

http://www.startribune.com/father-3-children-die-mom-survives-boating-accident-on-lake-superior-near-apostle-islands/492190851/

http://www.wbng.com/story/39002339/update-names-of-victims-released-in-kayak-capsize

@TomL The NPS Apostle Island website has a section on safety: https://www.nps.gov/apis/planyourvisit/safety.htm Am guessing it’s reduced to hard copy at the check-in centers. But is it read?

We had to get a permit for overnight camping. The ranger read us the safety rules.
But on day trips I don’t know if the safety rules are relayed except by rangers at popular launch points

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/01/father-3-young-children-die-in-kayaking-accident-on-lake-superior-mother-survives.html

60° water 3-4" waves

We paddled near there this summer.
A. 60 degree water here but a little over there it is 50.
B. I would not paddle there on a SOT. Seakayak only. But I saw some little SunDolphins .
C. 2030 hrs…naw I ain’t going out in chilly water, facing chilly night, ev n with neopreme. Night time in July got down to 48 one night.
D. Tragic for the family. I feel sad for them either way.

@PaddleDog52 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/01/father-3-young-children-die-in-kayaking-accident-on-lake-superior-mother-survives.html

60° water 3-4" waves
I didn’t see mention of water temp but those wave heights make no sense.
Having been there no wind results in three inch waves

@TomL said:
I’m a canoe person but I was thinking about this tragedy and wondering exactly what “rules of thumb” were violated. Sounds like lack of prep for cold water plus lack of self rescue capability…but no one mentioned lack of a capable communication device or any guideline for swimming ability. Hmm. To me it is disappointing that the Coast Guard can’t even offer a link to the press that guides people to a simple summary of safety recommendations.

I could have gone on adding to my original list but had other plans today. There are plenty of things that went wrong that didn’t need to.

In article

Fryman’s 29-year-old wife Cari Mews was rescued near Michigan Island. She had been in the 60-degree water for hours, according to the station.

Malibu 2 12’ has 425 lb. Capacity

No clue what the were in.