Never mind

Doesn’t Matter. Be safe out there

Not sure why it matters? Are we trying to move the people we think are less safe to be a different category from us “safe” kayakers?

Coincidentally just this morning at the YMCA I told one of the hosts to be careful with his new fishing kayak. He told me he’s been kayaking for 30 years and wears a wetsuit if the water is cold and taught kayaking skills at a local kayaking club.

Seeing someone with their butt at water level, and a blade ON EACH END of a stick, getting all high and mighty, makes me laugh.

@Peter-CA said:
Not sure why it matters? Are we trying to move the people we think are less safe to be a different category from us “safe” kayakers?

Ditto that. I am picking up one of those real fishing kayaks - a Hobie - this weekend. Can’t wait to get out there to piss the real kayakers off. LOL!

sing

Then there are the kayakers who drown every year in rental rec boats. Kayaking is an activity, not a profession.

Are they really real yakkers?
Suppose some will decide,
such as Ensign McNulty,
pulling cutter aside,
to a bottoms-up sponsonned,
floating tackle box prow,
five-miles-out-n-over
though no one’s yakkin’ there now,

Well there’s some with the look.
And demonstratively so,
when they have set the hook,
to 800-pound mako,
now giving manbucket ride,
as paddler’s not holdin’ water,
reverse yakking, “Ak! Ay-ay-ayyyyyy!”

Ain’t for me to decide.
All my reality checks,
long ago fell over side,
Or was it aggressively stepped,
out of thing that I do.
Take a pole if you’d like.
Is this really how you canoe?

Who cares? Try an outrigger canoe for speed. Just cause it has that thing on it does not make the paddler less of a paddler. Chances are he will leave you at the start line
And have you seen how fast some of these fishing kayaks go?

@kayamedic said:
Who cares? Try an outrigger canoe for speed. Just cause it has that thing on it does not make the paddler less of a paddler. Chances are he will leave you at the start line
And have you seen how fast some of these fishing kayaks go?

Depends on the motor.

I’ve met plenty of sea kayakers who weren’t. Hell, I’m fairly sure I started out as one. :wink:

I don’t think it’s fair to go for the low hanging fruit here.

You would think it’s winter. Oh yeah…

Even though you’re no fisherman, ain’t gonna stop you from trolling, eh?

That’s not a troll, unless you still have ice and snow. B)

It’s like bicycles. If you are a hard core road cyclist with an expensive bike do you think a beach cruiser with a guy wearing flip flops as another cyclist?

looks like Wavetamer stepped on a turd but hey - no big deal

@TomL said:
looks like Wavetamer stepped on a turd but hey - no big deal

it washes off… hey its paddling!

If it’s not a skin on frame… It’s not a true kayak…
Originally all kayaks were fishing/hunting kayaks.

Grayhawk has it, though some early SOF’s were also used to transport whole families and were anything but sleek.

But I challenge most current serious sea kayakers to sew themselves into a boat and go out harpooning seals that weigh times more than them in 33 degree water. Not sure anyone here has the rank to look down their nose at guys who go out in loaded up fishing kayaks even if some beer is involved. :slight_smile:

The british call them canoes… but if you call it a kayak then it’s a kayak…
What matters is that you’re out there having fun…

Appreciate the telling comments. Be safe in whatever you want to call it.