Cheap alternative kayak water pump

I found a great alternative to an expensive water pump for any kayak, plus they are lots of fun as well. It is the Stream Machine water launcher, available at several stores, but I just picked up a 2-pack from my local Costco for $8.99. Here is a link to their 4-pack offer, not quite as good a deal, but still affordable. : https://www.costco.com/Stream-Machine-4-pack.product.100494429.html
Save yourself some money and enjoy! See attached pic.

I hope you never have to empty a swamped boat with that! Nice toy, but not a serious pump if you are trying to keep a boat from sinking.

Russian Roulette pump, for rough water.

Two of us emptied a swamped tandem canoe on the French Broad with 2 manual bilge pumps. Less volume much faster cycle time.

You can spend as much as you want on a pump, but this will quickly disperse 1200 ML (40 oz) in just a few seconds, which will quickly empty a kayak. At least it does for me. Just trying to help out those of us on a budget.

@knudson said:
this will quickly disperse 1200 ML (40 oz) in just a few seconds, which will quickly empty a kayak.
Not when you’ve got 20+ gallons of water to remove from your cockpit and you’re trying to pump it through the tiny hole in your squirt gun toy (try it sometime). This is a classic case of “false economy” that could end up getting you in trouble when you’re really in need of bailing out a boat. Bilge pumps are designed to move large amounts of water quickly and are a far better tool for the job. Save your squirt gun for for playtime.

You are obviously mistaking this for an ordinary squirt gun, fine, but wrong. My kayak hold much more than 20 gallons too.

Creditable specs add confidence…
Recommended age 5+
Made in China.

I’m familiar with toys like this and there’s nothing special about the Costco squirt guns.

Have you ever pumped out the entire cockpit with it? You’ll find that it’s a lot more work using a pump with a tiny opening like your squirt gun. Your toy is meant to shoot a relatively small amount of water a long distance; it’s not designed for moving large volumes of water in an emergency situation. It’s a plaything.

Conversely, bilge pumps are designed to move a large amount of water a short distance, with minimal effort, as quickly as possible, which is what is needed when emptying a kayak cockpit under duress.

If you can’t understand the difference, you’re likely to learn the hard way.

Epecially with a kayak with no bulkheads… Double bulkheaded kayaks hold about 20 gallons. Rec kayaks do hold a lot more.

False economy sure especially when you can get a real manual pump that will last for years for $19… I do have one that sells for $40 now ( it didn’t in 1990!) that still works. https://www.amazon.com/Beckson-Canoe-Kayak-Float-Pump/dp/B002FVO9XG?creativeASIN=B002FVO9XG&linkCode=w61&imprToken=.p9owy0OxHiof4nNHLodyg&slotNum=7&tag=kayaking0f-20

But false economy drives the sales of cheap kayaks…

I’m glad everyone else has said what I was thinking… It’s hard being the perpetual pessimist.

looks fun, but definitely not an alternative. As a ww canoeist, your “40 ounces” comment is cracking me up. I use an electric as I need to hang onto a paddle unless I want to get pinned.

@Sparky961 said:
I’m glad everyone else has said what I was thinking… It’s hard being the perpetual pessimist.

You aren’t pessimist… You are a realist. :slight_smile:

@kayamedic said:

@Sparky961 said:

You aren’t pessimist… You are a realist. :slight_smile:

… and you are an optimist, at least in respect to this comment. :slight_smile: Thanks.

Never compromise on safety or on safety equipment.

You mean they were serious and not sarcastic?

I have no comments on the quality or the efficiency of said pump. I guess that has been covered adequately anyway.

Knudson, I would like you to consider the events where this pump becomes necessary:
You have entered into some bad weather, with waves exceeding your comfort range, have capsized, rescued yourself back into your kayak and will now start emptying the kayak.

In these events, are you really going to sit with this gun high in the air and shoot water away?

No, you will be clinging to your paddle, trying to keep the kayak stable while pumping. Because the wave which capsized you, would not be the only wave. Even with a normal kayak pump, you will feel that you could really use 3 hands right now, but you only have two. There is no way you will start raising your arms to empty a water gun into the air.

I agree. Been there done that…

"Even with a normal kayak pump, you will feel that you could really use 3 hands right now, but you only have two. "

That’s when you learn the value of not paddling alone.

Pumping out a boat is hard enough when you have someone to steady it so you can use both hands. It can be nearly impossible if you’re solo, especially in rough conditions. In a pinch, you can squeeze it between your legs or pin it under one leg. But that makes it more difficult to control the boat.

Anyone who thinks it can be done with a squirt gun has obviously never tried doing it under realistic conditions. There are many things that seem like “good ideas”, that simply don’t work when you actually need them.

Which brings us to the topic of the value of training and experience.

So true…
Pool like settings are fine for learning the mechanics but most real world problems happen in much worse conditions possibly the worst conditions you have ever been in.