Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bomber Gear & Level Six Mack Dry Top?

Can anyone say anything about these? I have about $100 in "eBay" bucks and need to spend them in the next two weeks or I loose them. And I need a dry top and these are available on the auction site.

So, should I buy one of these or forget about it and go for Kokatat, NRS, IR or whatever? For about $200 or less they are relatively inexpensive compated to $250 (on sale) or more for the others. Plus as I said I have $100 to spend or lose only on eBay and I do not seem to need anything else right now from there...

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• bomber gear
    What is the age of the garments? Bomber Gear only recently started making paddling clothing again. You could be looking at a top that is more than a couple years old, in which case, the gaskets could be in advance stages of decomposition. I've had some good pieces from Bomber Gear, but every single piece of Level 6 gear I own is extremely impressive. I would vote for Level 6 if you are looking for durability. The DWR they use is ten time better than anyone else including Kokatat. The better the DWR, the longer the piece will breath.
  • Options
    Bomber gear
    Nermal is absolutely correct. Much of the Bomber gear floating around on line is from 2003 or earlier. That only becomes a serious problem if the garments in question use latex gaskets which can deteriorate. If you're looking at semi-dry tops with neoprene seals at the neck and wrists it shouldn't be as much of a concern.

All of the Bomber Gear stuff I owned back in their hayday was very good! I hope their new stuff measures up.

With the "season" coming to an end, you may want to consider holding out for a while. I imagine more good deals will pop up on Fleabay as the weather cools.
  • Good points
    I have to ask the seller. The stuff is new and I think is new production rather than old new stock.

Unfortunately, I have to buy before 9/21 or my $100 $$$ expire so I can't really wait too long...

There are only a handful of these particular garments offered now, perhaps you can take a look and let me know specifically? Not sure if I can post the item numbers here or if it is against the rules of this board...
  • And another question on size
    -- Last Updated: Sep-04-08 9:53 AM EST --

I am somewhat skinny 6'4" tall at under 190 lb and wonder if a XXL or XL size that fits my height per the charts I've seen would let water in? Since my chest, neck, waist, and wrist sizes are more like L on the same fit charts...

• level six
    level six stuff is well-made from the limited amount i've seen. the bomber gear tops i've seen were from 4-5 years ago, and i saw multiple tops delaminate, seams come apart, etc. hopefully with their new production they have fixed their problems, but i'd still go for the level six.

• Level six Mach
    Just got one. Super comfortable and bone dry. Was rated as the dryest drytop last year. I have been through many drytops and I must say ...this level six is above and beyond my expectations. And their Customer service is great too!

• Options
    Bomber Gear
    I bought a $80 Bomber Gear drytop off ebay last year, needless to say it's the best $80 I have ever spent. I paddled over 1000 miles in it so far. I feel good enough about it that I'm waiting for my 08 Bomber Drytop and spray skirt to arrive today.

• Thanks guys
    I think either would work. I've placed my bid on a Level Six for now as a comparable Bomber is not listed and I need to act sooner rather than later. please, don't outbid me -;)

Plus I was impressed by the fast and informative reply I got to my e-mail from Level Six to help with the sizing questions I had.