14-15' kayak under 50 lbs?

Swift Saranac
My Swift Saranac 14 tips the scales at 36lbs with a skeg. I use the boat for everything from the Adirondacks to the Atlantic.

If the disk problems are in your neck,
why are the docs limiting you to 40# lifting? Docs are likely to be ignorant of the mechanics of lifting, even if they understand stresses on disks.

I carry canoes and kayaks on my head, and have had a tiny bit of greater auricular nerve buzzing which might relate to my carrying practices. But I have never felt a neck buzz when throwing a 50 pound canoe up to my shoulders.

One can contrive to lift only one end of a 60 pound kayak at a time. There are bar extensions where the one end of the boat can be propped while the other is lifted into place.

I applaud your search for a light kayak. There is no necessity to put up with heavy boats.

Twenty mile day trips? Can you reduce the quantity in favor of higher quality?

If you think the Tsunami is a barge, let us know if you decide to sell the Fusion.

they have top of the line backbands
and of course adjustable footpegs.

SOF

– Last Updated: Jan-02-13 7:16 PM EST –

Check out the Cape Falcon F-1, a 14' boat in skin-on-frame construction. Weight about 32 pounds and it is amazingly nimble, responsive, etc. I highly recommend it - you don't say where you are, but if you're close to Oregon I recommend the building class. You get a new boat and a Greenland paddle for $1300. He can custom build one for $1950. Everyone who has paddled mine has liked it and been comfortable (mine is a previous model, SC-1, very similar). Advanced kayakers can really make it fly.

http://www.capefalconkayak.com/f1.html

PS an SOF is much easier to build than a stitch & glue boat, by the way.

PPS I have my eye on a Rapidfire or a Spitfire as well, they appeal as I am losing my tolerance for having my legs flat out in front of me for a long time. The SOF is way less money...

excellent suggestions

– Last Updated: Jan-03-13 6:31 PM EST –

Like Kim I have a Rapidfire and enthusiastically recommend it. It is costly due to the expensive materials used and the extensive labor required in construction- the polar opposite of dumping a bucket of plastic beads in a mold and turning on the heat and rotation. I really enjoy paddling it on lakes and non-whitewater streams. It's quite fast and nimble. You can read a number of reviews on Paddling.net, including mine and Kim's.

Like Carl, I have built a 14' Cape Falcon kayak (he built the SC1 while I built its successor, the F1). Have used it in many paddles on Long Island Sound and continue to be impressed with what a fantastic design it is. Reviews are on Paddling.net

I'm going to build the 14' "Petrel Play" in a class with the designer, Nick Schade of Guillemott Kayaks. I test paddled the "Play" and was impressed enough to sign up to start building one next week. It is nimble. CLC will be selling the plans and/or a kit. Weight should be about 35 lbs , depending on build quality and components added.

All 14' kayaks give up higher speeds to longer kayaks but are fast enough to keep up with average paddling groups. I would recommend the "PLay" highly for you except that it is a new design and you will have a very hard time finding one to demo for a few months. Nick has a demo in CT and there will be a few more in CT by spring, including mine. However, CT is a 22 hr. drive from southern Wisconsin (did it in one day many years ago, never again). I'll post a review in the summer after I've completed the kayak and paddled it many times.

Good luck on your quest-When discussing canoes/kayaks, my friend the late Bart Hauthaway always said "the smaller and lighter it is, the more you'll use it."

Dave

Alchemy
Not sure of the exact poundage, but you’d be over 50 if it was even damp.

neck and lifting
g2d, it may be because the problem discs are the last two before the back starts, perhaps because they were bumping up against my spinal cord, not entirely sure. I also lost all functionality in my right tricep, though that’s slowly coming back. Fair question. I’ll be exploring my limits this summer…

All I know is that for most of this past summer even picking up 5 pounds of weight caused pain and pressure. Don’t want to go back to that!

Good point about trading quantity for quality.

I’ll let you know if I decide to sell the Fusion. :-]

Thanks!
Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions and great questions. I have a lot of research to do!

Kayaking has been a super motivator through treatment and PT: can’t wait to get back out on the water.

I really appreciate all of your thoughtful help, and definitely welcome more suggestions.

Let us know how it works for you
every paddler has their own journey and trip log.

More build options
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much! I will keep an eye out for the Play. CLC comes through Madison with boats for demo usually at least once a summer, and they will be at Canoecopia, so I could at least talk to them about the boat/kit.

The reviews for the RapidFire are among the most useful I’ve read on this site: thanks to you, Kim, and others for putting such great information out there.

I appreciate the sentiment that the lighter you go the more you’ll want to get out and go. I should note, as it’s that time of year, that getting myself lighter will help too!

Megan

Motivation during PT
Hi Megan,

During 18 weeks of PT, 2 x wk, while recovering from shoulder reconstruction, to paddle again was my motivation to work very hard. In the eight years since surgery I’ve been able to paddle frequently with no ill effects if I paddle in ways that don’t stress the shoulder. I won’t bore you with my injury accommodations as they don’t apply to your situation. When healed as much as possible, determine what adjustments you need to make and then enjoy paddling!

CLC probably will add the “Play” to their road show as it’s a new design that should prove popular so they are likely to be promoting it. If your still interested in trying it, a phone call a few weeks before they will be in your area could help assure that design gets loaded.

Best wishes,

Dave

Feathercraft Kahuna or Wisper
buy used and you get a boat you can travel the world with.

I’ll second that.

– Last Updated: Jan-04-13 10:39 AM EST –

A previous post recommended taking a look at NC kayaks. I second that with extreme prejudice. I know you (the OP) mentioned that you would not consider a boat without a test paddle. Well that probably wouldn't be possible unless you live somewhere in the Northwest, but the same is probably true of a lot of other really great boats.

NC does not make a 15' boat, but they do make a great little 15'-8" sea kayak. They are also having their super winter sale. It is worth taking a look--if for no other reason than to see what a fabulous boat you can get for well below the cost you stated.

I don't own one of their 15'-8" models, but I do own a 19 footer and a friend of mine owns the "fifteen." I wouldn't trade mine for anything and neither would my friend. Take a look at nckayaks.com.

Impex Mystic
Add the Impex to your list. It is a sleek, lovely small kayak. I am with Chuck, though, and would personally prefer a folding kayak. If you would consider a folder add the Feathercraft Kurrent and the Long Haul UTE to your list of prospects. Generally Feathercrafts are lighter in weight, nicer to paddle, easier to carry, but more time consuming to assemble; Long Hauls (and the very similar Kleppers) are heavier (although the UTE meets your spec), more rugged, and much quicker to assemble. Folding kayaks are an acquired taste, but once acquired, their appeal transcends any rigid boat.

Hurricane Tampico 140

– Last Updated: Jan-04-13 11:25 AM EST –

I have one (listed at 45 pounds) and I'm very happy with it. I kept up with a 2.5 feet longer boat than mine last year in bouncy water. There are 2 versions, the 140S (http://hurricaneaquasports.com/kayaks/tampico140s.html) and the roomier 140L
(http://hurricaneaquasports.com/kayaks/tampico140l.html). The S has thigh braces and a backband, the L has no braces and a more comfort oriented seat. I bought the L because I barely fit in the S. My friend who is about your height has an S and loves it.

Delta 14.5
Epic V6

NC 15

Necky Eliza

Sterling makes very light boats, but over 2K

Eddyline Equinox
Hi,

The Eddyline Equinox would be another good option to investigate. 14’, 45 lbs, and retails for $1799.

Cheers,

Eddyline

more suggestions
My two favorite kayaks (in a sequentially owned fleet of more than a dozen) are both fairly light and nimble and around 14-15 feet. One is a 37 lb Feathercraft Wisper folder (bought used for $2200) and the other a hard shell P & H Venture Easky LV (46 lbs and under $1200 new). We also have a couple of Pakboat folders and they are coming out with a new model of their XT kayak around that size this year which is intriguing and in your spec range. Probably well under $2000.

Not quite a proven product yet but the Orukayak Origami folder is an interesting concept and certainly looks portable and easy to set up.

I also have a skin on frame and agree that the F1 might be a good boat to look into for you. My 18’ SOF weighs in at 31 pounds and is a snap to load and carry to the water. It’s amazing how much having a light boat can simplify paddling and amplify the enjoyment thereof.

SoF
You might want to take a look at a fuselage style skin on frame. They don’t require much in the way of wood working, and there’s a million and a half ways of putting ‘em together. Yostwerks.com has some good designs, pics, and step by step instructions. The site was put together by an engineer, though, so it’s recommended to read through all of the site, even if you’re only building a non-folding kayak.

You don’t have to use PVC to cover the kayak like Tom does, either. I used 8 oz polyester, covered it in PL Premium Construction Adhesive, then Rustoleum. There’s been a lot of success using ballistic nylon and varnish, instead. I lashed all my joints, too… no need for epoxy or screws.

It’d be hard to build a 15’ SoF over 50 lbs without getting really excessive on the size of the frames or stringers, unless you use absurd wood (mahogany for the stringers, for example).

Impex Sea Breeze?
Maybe also consider an Impex Sea Breeze

I was going to get a Impex Mystic, then stumbled on a really killer deal on an Impex Sea Breeze - Same hull as the Mystic just without the skeg and front bulkhead/hatch - and about 5 - 6 pounds lighter - mine last weighed was at 39 pounds.