2017 Spring Ozark Rendezvous Dates

I know most will paddle Saturday, some may stick around for Sunday as well but most of the group heads home that day but if water is really good those folks that are retired and don’t have to be at work on Monday will take advantage of good water and paddle. Me and my husband will leave Sunday morning as we have to be back at work on Monday. Hope to see you there, this is a fun group. If your a drinker be ready for some moonshine!

Moonshine, huh? Have you and Rob started up a still, Pam?

Sounds great, I’m in mid mo so it’s over a 4 hour drive so I’d love to join…Do you all have a group Facebook page? And does the campground haul back for a nominal fee? Btw…ill be the newb tipping over with the go pro capturing embarrassing footage…thx for the invite.

The site of the venue will depend on water levels. If there is sufficient water, we will be on the upper Buffalo River in Arkansas. If not, possibly the middle Buffalo River, or the North Fork of the White River in southern Missouri. But it has been a drought year thus far, and both these rivers are largely dependent on natural flow. If both are too low, we might have to go to the Current River which is largely spring fed, but that has not been discussed, and the location won’t be certain until much closer to late April.

We have never paid for shuttle services. There are usually plenty of people with vehicles with large racks or trucks that can haul multiple boats, so we run our own shuttles. The only thing you need to do is to make sure that each day you paddle, you have arranged a shuttle with someone so you don’t accidentally get left at the take-out with your boat. There is not a

As for embarrassing video footage, I would say that most of this group is probably well beyond embarrassment, but who knows, maybe someone will hit a new low.

There is no Facebook page for the event, but if you search FB for “Ozark Rendezvous” you will find some posts and photos from prior events.

Well with Rob and Pam’s moonshine (nothing wrong with earning some extra income with a side business these days :smile: ) there may be more embarrassment this year … maybe even more than that lost mescal evening on the North Fork.

If water levels are too low for the Upper Buffalo here are my preferred fallbacks in rank order:

1. Middle Buffalo
  2. Lower Buffalo (but this may have the longest and most unpaved shuttles)
  3. North Fork of the White River (Twin Bridges)
  4. Current River if the North Fork is too low.

In any case I am definitely canoeing somewhere in the Ozarks that week!!

Pete, no we aren’t making moonshine but know plenty that do. I think if I don’t bring Orange Creamsicle Moonshine Tom might have my head! Only 2 more months! Everyone please start praying to the rain Gods!

And I’m planning on joining the trip this year - so since I’ve never done the Buffalo and I’ve always wanted to do it - It has my vote .

Hey, long time no see you Rendezvous crowd. See you guys are targeting the upper Buffalo first week in May. I may join you guys, if there is water. Yes, been a dry year up that way but starting to see some relief now. I will be on the Mulberry in mid April. If all goes well my wife may come to the Buffalo with me. Are you planning to put in at the Ozark campground or up higher? Where do you think you will pull out?
SYOTW,
Earl

Earl, that would depend entirely on water levels. If we are so fortunate as to have enough water in early May, I’m sure some would want to put in at Ponca or Steel Creek, and paddle to Kyle’s Landing. Kyle’s Landing to Ozark, or Ozark to either Hasty or Carver are also likely possibilities. Ozark to Carver might be a bit longer than some would want to do as a day trip, but would avoid having to climb the rather steep bank at Hasty. If there is a lot of water, I would really like to do the Boxley Valley section, if anyone else was game for it.

The Boxley section could interest me. Have you done it? I’ve not. My instincts tell me this might be more than I can chew, but new challenges are always tempting. Additional research is warranted.

Would only consider a day trip - no load.

No, I have never paddled the Boxley Valley section. American Whitewater rates it Class II and those I have spoken to who have run it confirm that. No Class IIIs but definitely Class II.

The Boxley section?
A 6 mile section, from Boxley (Hwy 21) to Ponca.
Water dependent; minimum level is 4 feet. Can become dangerous above 7 feet.
Generally Class I to II, but approaches Class III at very high levels.
I’ve run that a couple of times with no issues

If you are referring to the Hailstone section (above Boxley); you are talking about a section which in my opinion is beyond the typical Rendezvous paddlers skill level. I ran it once with a group of Outward Bound staff & students in 74 or 75. Ran it in 17 foot Grummans with tractor tires for flotation. We were wet, skinned up, bruised, hypothermic, and miserable when we finally got at the Boxley bridge. Multiple dumps; a couple requiring a z drag. Been there; done it, and I ain’t going back.

If you go; don’t take a composite canoe; it might get eaten.
Do have your canoe fully bagged.
Have a good first aid kit, and a haul system.
Also have extra food, water, and warm clothing.
A small tarp for an emergency shelter would be nice to have.
Highly unlikely that you’ll see any rangers up there to help you if you get in a real jam.
More than a few have spent the night in the woods because they couldn’t “get her done” in one day.

Feel friskey; go for it…
BOB

Attached to previous post are some old school photos of the Hailstone.
None show it in high water level.

I’ll pass on that upper section - it looks to be beyond my skill or experience level (from Bob’s pictures). A repeat of last spring’s sections would be just fine, thanks. Or a return to Twin Bridges and the North Fork White…
Brad

Bob’s pictures are from the Hailstone, not the Boxley Valley.

The Hailstone has enough water to run only infrequently. I know one Missouri whitewater boater who waited two years for a chance to run it (and then ran it twice in two weeks). It is pretty highly unlikely that the Boxley Valley would have enough water to run in early May, although somewhat less so.

The one day last spring after a nearly all day rain (Friday as I recall) that we paddled Steel Creek to Kyle’s Landing might have had enough water to run Boxley.

Actually, Steel Creek to Kyle’s Landing on Saturday, Ponca to Kyle’s Landing on Sunday. By the way, Pete, that cut on my hand didn’t even leave a scar.

See ya’ll soon wherever we decide to gather this year - I’m hitting the road south the first week of April, heading east later in the month.

Brad

That’s right. Friday was the rain day. And the historical record for the Boxley gauge shows that the level on Saturday April 30th would have been just enough to run the Boxley Valley, but it would still have been considered low. The level on Friday would have been considered moderate. So it takes a good bit of water to run Boxley. Even more to run the Hailstone.

I’m glad your hand healed up well. Were you able to fix the end cap on your canoe?

Yes - I stopped at We-No-Nah Canoe (in Winona, MN) on the way home and picked up a replacement and fixed it when I got home.

Brad

Okay, did not know if the group was planning on day trips or a multiday trip down the river. I have run Ponca to Ozark many times and also run Boxley to Ponca a couple of times once in 52 minutes at a pretty high level after a night of rain. Then we went on to Ozark in a few hours. My experience is you need good water to make the run from Boxley.

I am game either way you guys plan. A good multiday trip is from Ozark to Grinders Ferry about 45 miles 2-3 nights on the river. We can get a shuttle for cheap if we park our vehicles and have them run only one down to Grinders the morning we plan to pull off the river. If we do pay for a shuttle I am partial to BRO. They have some great staff that I have gotten to know well. I make it up there 2-3 times per year. Early May is a good time of year for the best chances for water and low crowds.

Earl,

Multi overnights on the river during the Rendezvous are NOT going to happen.
I tried to lobby for such an idea; it was a waste of my time.

BOB