10" (3m) Kayak too small for me?

Would the Pelican Pulse 100X be too small for someone who is 6’3?

Also how about the Pelican Pulse 80?

Thanks

depends
If you weigh under 160 lbs and just wanted to sit in the shallows of a small pond for an hour or two, sure, you could blow your money on one of those flimsy little bathtubs and probably stuff yourself into one, at least until your legs went numb from the knees down.

How much do you weigh, what’s your shoe size, where do you plan to paddle (both geographically and the type of waters) and what do you plan to do in a kayak (fish? make some distance? dawdle near shore?) And what is your realistic budget and your available transport? All that information would help in making suggestions for practical alternatives.

|
I am 160 pounds, shoe size is 13, my budget is 400, I would like to go down the Saskatchewan Souris river.

My primary vehicle is a Cobalt, but sometimes a Ford Explorer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souris_River

Would I be better off with a PELICAN 15.5 canoe?

other options
A canoe might suit you, but why are you fixated on Pelican? Is that all you have access to? They are cheap for a reason – they are flimsy low quality boats mass produced for big box sporting goods stores. Their canoes are just as bad. The kayaks are notorious for sinking (many are made of two sections with a badly sealed seams) and having seats come loose.

Pelican does make some high quality kayak lines through their Elie division especially the Strait and Sound models. A boat like the Elie Strait 140 would be great for long trips on a river if you fit in it. Your biggest problem is going to be finding a kayak that fits your height and shoe size so you really need to get to some dealers and sit in the boats to check that out.

The fit problem is not a factor with canoes. A better low cost brand than the Pelicans would be Old Town – their Guide 147 is a nice solid canoe for flat water and is sold in many outlets (the model is sold by the Dick’s chain as the Passage 147). We live along the Susquehanna River, a similar wilderness waterway, and though we have both kayaks and canoes, we usually prefer using our Guide 147 on the river. We often paddle it using a 240 cm kayak paddle rather than a single blade canoe paddle. That might work for you as a solo paddler. An advantage of the canoe would be that you could take a friend along on your trips. Canoes can also be more useful for fishing and photography.

It sounds as if you need to test some boats, maybe renting or borrowing a canoe to see if that is a direction you want to try. Depending on your budget, there are solo pack canoes that many paddlers enjoy for river touring. An advantage of those over a regular tandem like the 147 is that they are much lighter and easier to transport. And getting inside some kayaks will give you a better perspective on what would work for you size-wise.

A 10" boat would be too small for
anyone. :slight_smile: Sorry, but I couldn’t pass up your fat finger oops.

IMO, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t start with anything shorter than a 12’ boat. Generally, the longer they are, the better they track. I began with an OT Otter. Nice little boat for a beginner, but I outgrew it within a year and a half.

As usually suggested here, try before you buy.

Keep your eyes peeled. I see Pelican
canoes wrapped around downed trees all the time.