10ft Kayak vs 13ft kayak

Second
I don’t find the thread to be silly at all. Do you still paddle your first boat? Were you frustrated by your first boat after you learned a few things about paddling and boat control?

Since the OP planned to be on the water for several hours at a time and, I presume, paddling her boat with a group why do you object to suggestions that she get a longer boat? IS price a limiting factor? Well sure it is, but that doesn’t mean that alternatives shouldn’t be offered.

As for Guideboat guy’s comments that a longer boat is not warranted because they don’t handle well or look funny on smaller rivers; the OP mentioned more than one possible venue. I don’t know why some people here are so averse to boats longer that 12’ but they are relatively common where I live (Seattle). I see plenty of people paddling around on the lakes, rivers and on glass calm days on the sound in longer boats than 12’.

Ultimately my point is that to limit your selection by cost is artificial and will potentially cost you more. Boat choice should be informed by what you really intend to do and where you really think you’ll end up along the skill/activity progression. For example, If you plan to do multi day coastal paddling, even though you’ve never been in a kayak before, it’s ridiculous to start with a kayak you bought at a box store as it’s entirely unsuited to that environment and if you try it the best outcome is that you’ll discover that fact on your own, worst case you’ll sink the boat at the risk of your safety and possibly others and get a boat that is more suited to the type of paddling you want to do… If, instead, you did a little research and found out what design features made a longer boat with bulkheads and a narrower beam and pursued some training you’d have a better outcome. You’d spend more money at the outset but would it be more than the costs of the first scenario? If the OP really thinks she’ll only dawdle along the shoreline of the ponds and little slow rivers than great get the short boat and accept the limitations it imposes, otherwise really give your paddling plans a thorough once over and maybe try out a few other boats and include boats that you didn’t think about in your initial assessment, take a class or two etc before making that commitment.

She should take a class or two anyway, in my opinion.