10K Islands Everglades N P

Greetings:

I am planning a trip to the Everglades National Park and the 10K Islands. This will be my second trip there, but this time I bringing my handheld GPS unit. Last time we used our deck compass and charts to find our way around.

I know this is going to sound light weight, but does anybody know where we can get the lat/long coordinates for the cheeckees (chickees) in the backcountry? I want to plan out our trip and put the cheeckees in as way points. Perhaps somebody here has them, the Park Service does not or at least they have not responded to my inquiry.

Thanks for your help.

PB_Skeeter

gps coordinates

– Last Updated: Nov-05-04 10:06 AM EST –

I do GIS these days in my work and as a volunteer on conservation projects. I found a data set for the primitive campsites in Everglades National Park. It includes 15 chickees and 43 campsites total. If you give me your list of campsites/chickees I can extract the coordinates for you. I don't real wish to do all 43, but may for future reference. It will take me about an hour to get it all together. Remember, this is how I make a living. I will trade the coordinates for your promise to work as a volunteer for at least an hour for a conservation project in your neck of the woods. The data is in UTM zone 17, NAD 1927 projection. Can your gps unit use these coordinates or will I have reproject? or unproject and get decimal degrees. I've got all 43 campsites in UTM coordinates NAD83.

Here’s something
http://www.evergladescampsites.com/id2.html

It’s not mine, so I dont know how accurate it is. I’m going to cape sable jan/feb for my second trip. It sure is fun. Enjoy!

lots of information at…
www.evergladesdiary.com.