1998 Current Designs Soltice GT

Nice :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ditch the sliding Yakima pedals would be my choice they are horrible.

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

What would you recommend? I have the original setup on my '99 Solstice GTS

You don’t need to replace the whole rudder system, just the non-sliding pedal system. This is relatively straightforward - I did this on my partner’s Looksha IV. I used this sort of setup:
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Lect-Designs-Adjustable-Rudder-Control/dp/B07D4R6529/ref=asc_df_B07D4R6529?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80745502909157&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345029909890&psc=1

I had to drill holes in the kayak for the mounting bracket because the existing holes were too far apart and too high, but I’ve heard that for some kayaks the swap is even easier. But the rest of the rudder system remained intact.

2 Likes

Sea-lect pedals mentioned above bolt right into existing holes which are 14" or 14.5" on CD kayaks. You need to install new SS cables. Do the deck lines and try it with existing pedals you can use it and see how nice the kayak is.

1 Like

That might be a year 2 project.

Actual work is two hours or less. Enjoy it.

Yes… but the Youtube rabbit hole I am going to go down first will be measured in days!

Thanks. Replacing the ss cables seems a bit daunting as they disappear into tubing by the pedal system and reappear months later by the rudder…

Is it as simple as threading the end of the cable into one end and pushing it through, then terminating with crimps at each end? One of the tubes is protruding slightly at the rear (which looks to be correct), the other is not, and I’m concerned that I won’t be able to push the new cable through…(maybe tie a small guide string to the old wire as I pull it out…)

Not that hard to do. Me less than 45 minutes. Pedals in also.

1 Like

Thanks. Might upgrade to Spectra cord while I’m at it, just for some additional fun. :slight_smile:

Why Spectra?

Some people suggest that the cord is more durable/less problematic than the cable.

Q-Powerline Pro, specifically, which has a Spectra core.

1 Like