1998 Current Designs Soltice GT

Relatively new to Kayaking. Did a bunch when I was younger but never really dug into it except basic safety and paddling technique. Looking to buy a kayak and some family friends of ours are interested in selling me theirs and said for me to offer them a fair price. Its in pretty great shape, might get a new seat for it, but I am unsure what fair is. Best I can figure out from here is a range from $900 to $1400. They have been good friends so I want to do right by them. Any suggestions would be very helpful and looking forward to being an active member here!

I think your price range is reasonable for a kayak in very good the excellent condition. I’ve seen comparable kayaks with asking prices as high as $2000, but there’s no telling if and how much those actually sold for. I’ve also seen $500 bargains, but those usually show their age or need some sort of work (there is the very rare $500 “gem”). It’s also hard to give very specific thoughts without seeing the condition. Do you know if it’s fiberglass or Kevlar? Kevlar would bump up the value toward the higher end.

1 Like

Have you sat in it and even better, can you paddle it? You said the seat may need replacing. Your butt is the best judge.

2 Likes

Technically… yes. 23 years ago when I was 17! I am going up in a couple of weeks to get dinner with them and will take a look at it then. The seat is original.

This is helpful. It’s fiberglass. It is definitely not $500. But maybe dinner and $1000 will do the trick.

750 maximum it’s second generation. Great kayak seat probably needs replaced. It also probably has Yakima sliding pedals which I think are horrible. Check deck lines, hatches and seals. Check for impacts on the hull. Check rudder functions properly and pin is tight in the hull. Post some pictures of it if you like. Replacing seat and pedals is about two hours labor if you don’t do it yourself. Parts should be about 250 or less. You’ll need a pop rivet gun or small bolts to install seat.

Rudder Cable Crimper-Cutter Tool [SLD-K799150-1 (6U4)] - $29.95 : TopKayaker, Your Online Outfitter. If you change pedals.

Check straps for hatches they aren’t cheap either.

Probably about 3100 new or a bit less.

Seats were BO a long time last fall. Many many months.

3 Likes

I should clarify that there’d be quite a price difference between friends giving you a really good deal, versus you making your friends a somewhat generous offer. if I were looking for a decent price, I probably would top out at $1000 for a 25 year old kayak in excellent condition.

Last year, I sold a 2001 16’ Seaward fiberglass kayak in excellent shape for $1400. So at the time, it was 21 years old. But it was about as “mint” as a kayak that old could look.

1 Like

I would be reluctant to buy a rotomolded/plastic kayak that old. On the other hand, composite (fiberglass, aramid, etc.) kayaks hold up really well. So, other than checking the price and general condition, I would be ready to buy.

1 Like

Depends on use and storage of roto…

What you see people asking is usually much different than selling price. I bought 8 CD hulls NA style as they call them. Watch prices on them a lot. I put wide base seats in all but one and same with the pedal replacement.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s fiberglass.

Love my Solstice GTS. I’m 160 lbs, 5’6" and the GTS fits me perfectly. The GT is designed for a slightly larger paddler (than me), and then there’s a high volume version, so make sure that this one fits you.

Mine’s a '99 and it needed some work when I bought it seven years ago for $700. It needed some bottom work and lines replaced. I also updated the seat. IIRC, something is NLA from the manufacturer, maybe the hatch strap. I can’t remember at this point.
I would not pay more than $1K for a boat this old. Yea, it’s a wonderful kayak, but you can get much newer boats (not that it matters much) for the same money…or less. I bought two boats a couple of years ago, an Impex and a Perception Airlite, both in great shape, for $400. Right place, right time. Spring, though is not usually the best time to find great deals. :slight_smile:
If everything works - rudder, foot controls, seat – and the bottom is clean, I’d go for it. Again, the Solstice is a wonderful kayak, and I’d buy another one in a heartbeat, especially if I could find one in kevlar…

3 Likes

I appreciate all of the input. I will be picking it up this weekend and will take some pictures for all of you. If I know Larry, its in pretty good excellent shape except for one small issue with the seat. Definitely looking forward to getting out on the water this year!

2 Likes

Photos or it didn’t happen!

:slight_smile:

This weekend he picks it up.

The Current Designs Soltice kayaks are great boats. I have a 1995 GTHV in fiberglass that I bought used in '96 and my wife has a 2014 GTS Kevlar that she bought in '21. I love these boats, great design, comfortable, move efficiently through the water.

2 Likes

Amen :laughing:

I know. Just floating the reminder out there so he takes plenty of film and the camera… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Film? Now I have to find my SLR!

1 Like

I know where mine is. It’s in the '90s. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

More to come later, but seals are in good shape. The rudder steering cable is in good shape. Need to replace the deck lines and get a new backband. Some more pictures to follow when I do work on it. Thank you all for the help. Should be a good season!

3 Likes