2 Days Lost at Sea, St Augustine, FL

Glad they found him! A painful lesson! The photo leaves me scratching my head. (No string there’s few places left for the fleas to hide so it’s not from that.) What safety gear was with the boat, and what was a flat bottom 12’ john boat doing in rough water. Addressing the ignorance of youth is the parent’s job. Where does this fit on the pay for rescue scale?

US Coast Guard rescues Charles Gregory, who went missing off St. Augustine, Florida, nearly 2 days ago | CNN

It appears that the only thing that saved him was the floatation in his boat. No PFD and did he even have a shirt? And at 25 years old, his ignorance is probably well established.

3 Likes

What he got right was staying with the boat. The rest of the story has probably been enlightening for him.

2 Likes

A rare case of someone who did almost everything wrong and lived to tell the tale. Very lucky he was found!

4 Likes

Absolutely right!

Dumbass Nation. A jon boat is maybe the least seaworthy boat you could take in the ocean. No life jacket. No sun protection. No sense. No flares. No chance.

2 Likes

Sometimes… “The Lord protects the simple and the childlike…”

Having survived some crazy/stupid stuff of my own, I always said and acknowledged to others, "By the Grace of… "

sing

5 Likes

He’s being talked about as a perfect example of ignorance and under-preparedness here in our South Florida paddling groups.

3 Likes