2 dies on guided kayak trip in ME

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/2-Missing-Kayakers-Found-Dead-1-Hospitalized-384077451.html?_osource=mobilesharebar

Does say they were wearing PFDs, but I wished they also said whether they were wearing some sort of thermal protection or not. I am guessing yes, given that the survivor was in the water for over 4 hours.

heratbreaking
reading about them on Trip Advisor, it sure sounds like the guide was experienced and safety-conscious. It always sucks when we lose a kayaker but for some reason it really bothers me when an experienced guide is lost. Guess we’ll have to wait for the details.

no immersion gear
All three were wearing shorts and t-shirts. Water temp is about 52. There was a squall that caused the capsize, but what went wrong after that is not clear. VHF was carried in a drybag, and perhaps wasn’t accessible. No call was made.

Search was initiated after they were 2 hours overdue.

No immersion gear
Probably all of us think that’s risky but the trip was in usually sheltered waters about a mile each way.

A squall hit. The survivor clung to her kayak. Picked up by a lobsterman

Bangor Daily News has lots more

I’m kayaking in that area this weekend. People are nervous about seeing kayaks now here and reluctant (very) to share launch spots. Those publicized are now roped off.

I don’t understand why the clients were in singles but it matters not

The strong north wind and outgoing tide took them far out

Now four fatalities in two incidents

There’s a further article
In the Bangor paper including a statement from the survivor

May never have it all
Guide was experienced and no reputation for taking chances. Tide was high around 1pm, so exact location where it all started may not be known. Survivor is one of the clients, and she was in tough shape when they got her, so the kind of report some here may want may never happen. Both clients inexperienced.

This has definitely shaken everyone up there. They lose someone each season it seems, but it is usually someone in a rec kayak someplace that boat should not have been. Losing a guide and people in more seaworthy craft is another story. By the way, in the conditions described a tandem would not have appreciably helped. Close set steep waves.

sorry

– Last Updated: Jun-25-16 12:17 AM EST –

52* is drysuit time for me. Even over 60* and that is in inland bays. Shorts and shirts is shear stupidity on the guide's part. Inexperienced people have no clue of the danger a experienced guide or kayaker should. They were paddling in the Atlantic Ocean gross negligence on guides part period. Glad I am a pessimist when I paddle or do most things. Guided tour each person should have a floating waterproof radio on their PDF. Lights and whistles also. They didn't have to buy them just rent them as part of the package. They should also have a lesson on using them with channel 16.

press article.

– Last Updated: Jun-25-16 12:29 AM EST –

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/06/23/kayakers-who-perished-were-part-of-tour-group/

At least Maine makes a guide have licence.

The day

– Last Updated: Jun-25-16 2:29 AM EST –

Was pleasant, the sun bright warm air balmy soft tropical breezes flowed thru pines with a gentle whisper the sea was tender welcoming caressing adventurous souls ....

Maine Guide
Is a well respected program. And not at all new. Unless you could pass that test, you could be kinder to the guide.

Woman
I wonder if the woman survived due to her body fat. Typically woman have more than men. Sad, all around though.

I learned from another Guide
That was working out of Bar Harbor which was more sheltered and he felt the only thing that saved them was the squall which was not forecast hit them in a more sheltered area

Now are there lessons for all of us ?

For me

Always wear PLB

Always wear radio

The ends of peninsulas are never your friends in Maine

Seas there are confused especially with opposing wind and tide

If you are in the water better on incoming tide than outgoing

Don’t assume you can be rescued.

Wetsuit might work if you activate a PLB or Mayday

While these lobster men might think of kayakers as speed bumps. They will save our hides if they know there is a problem

It’s quite interesting
How we judge

And do we learn

I’m right at the outfitter now

The water temp is not 52. That is the offshore buoy reading.

Like Lake Superior ocean temps vary a lot with local currents and depth and proximity to land

The trouble is they got washed out. The tidal currents run about four mph on ebb

water temp
What’s the water temp?

wx
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBHB.html

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions/NOAATidesFacade.jsp?Stationid=8410875

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/050.html

nice day for paddling out n in with a dry suit.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/131.html

If there was no risk of hypothermia

– Last Updated: Jun-25-16 9:10 PM EST –

her body core temp would not be 82*.

http://www.pfdma.org/choosing/hypothermia.aspx
Water Temperature (Fahrenheit) Exhaustion or Unconsciousness Expected Time of Survival
32.5 degrees Under 15 minutes Under 15 to 45 minutes
32.5 to 40 degrees 15 to 30 minutes 30 to 90 minutes
40 to 50 degrees 30 to 60 minutes 1 to 3 hours
50 to 60 degrees 1 to 2 hours 1 to 6 hours
60 to 70 degrees 2 to 7 hours 2 to 4 hours
70 to 80 degrees 2 to 12 hours 3 hours to indefinite
Over 80 degrees Indefinite Indefinite

So you are at risk even at 70* correct? Also a guide should know the currents and tides especially with people who are not experienced paddlers. What self rescue skills did they have for the ocean? Water temp here in Long Island is 66* in the ocean may be 68 in my canal. I'll be out tomorrow with no drysuit but I will have tropos pants with booties and a paddling jacket with some kokatat under garments. Cell phone and one VHF possibly two if going in the inlet or ocean.

Med examiner rules
Drowning

quite possibly
During WWII they couldn’t figure out why older men survived sinkings in cold water while the younger men drowned. They initially assumed it was because the older man had more to live for (wife and family etc) but they finally determined that the real reason was the older men had more body fat which helped insulate them and helped them float.

When I was 18 and very lean I could not float even in salt water. Now that I am older and fatter I can’t sink. It is not a beer belly it is a PFD!

Yes
A few summers back there were some people who went overboard when their boat capsized in the Chesapeake and spent all night out there and one of them died, the others were in bad shape when they were finally rescued.

why?
because they were hypo and couldn’t control there body movements, or had no PFD’s? Yes that is what happens when you are hypodermic you drown. She was not hypodermic? Why does USCG mandate PFD’s on boats smaller than 22’ after Oct. because everyone on smaller boats can’t swim? No because more likely to fall off and become hypothermic. Nay be gasp reflex drowned them? She may know more. Fact she was hypodermic and near death after 4.5 hours tells you what happen. God Bless them all it is sad but the ocean is a tough place.