2 guys set "record" for 1515 miles around Florida

Good read about these guys’ paddle adventure. I only put "record_ in quotation because now that this article is out there I’m sure it will attract someone else to get out set a new record.

2 Likes

I think that would have been fun.

But too fast for me. I am not that good. That’s more then 34 miles a day and then do that EVERY day for 44 days.
I’m impressed.

2 Likes

Very impressive. Something I might have liked to do in my younger days, but probably not with that pace.

I would quibble about the term circumnavigation. They traveled the entire coastline of Florida, but did not circumnavigate the state. To do that they would have to end up back where they started. The WaterTribe Ultimate Florida Challenge would be closer to a circumnavigation, although at 1200 miles it’s a shorter course and like Circumnavigational Saltwater Paddling Trail it does not circumnavigate the entire state. Interestingly, the deadline for completing the WaterTribe event is just over 29 days.

All that said, it certainly does not take away their accomplishment.

1 Like

You can learn more about the Florida Circumnavigational Trail here:

https://www.floridapaddlingtrails.com/circumnavigational-trail

2 Likes

Greg also runs a meet-up group which features local day trips as well as his extended kayak trips in Florida and beyond. He’s a good guy; I’ve never been on his longer trips, but I’ve heard he’s also a great camp cook.

2 Likes

Cool thing to do but that trail’s title is a misuse of the word circumnavigate.

1 Like

Seems like reporters are in too much of a hurry to use a dictionary.

Or just dumb.