2 Hobie Mirage Sports or a tandem

-- Last Updated: Jun-13-11 10:24 AM EST --

Looking for feedback from any owners of the Hobie Mirage sport kayaks. I have a sot fishing kayak but my girlfriend is really wanting to join me on the water. You know how it is one trip and you are hooked. Not sure if I want a paddle tandem or if I should just drop the cheddar on a couple of the smaller Hobies. I live in Myrtle Beach so most of my travels are in the marsh and rivers but do wish to go saltwater fishing offshore. I have seen a few vids of people in CA fishing offshore with this smaller yak. Anyone have experience with this? And is the Mirage drive really worth the extra cost? I know but before you say it none of the outfitters here has the smaller yak with the mirage drive to try.

mirage sport
I think the drive is worth it plus you do not always have to use it. I also suggest the 2 boats rather then the tandem I think once she gets hooked even more your going to end up not only having a tandem but buying a boat for her. I don’t think you will regret going for the sport setup.

two boats
My wife and I found out very quickly the secret of a happy marriage-Never lie to each other, never go to bed mad, and NEVER get into a small paddle watercraft together. Ever again. The Canoe went on Craigslist, and we now have a small fleet of solo boats!

There’s a reason they call boats that
hold two people, “divorce boats”. Some couples/friends do paddle together but usually not until they’ve known each other for quite some time.

I saw a couple in a canoe one time and when they started out the conversation was, “No honey, paddle on the other side.”, and by the time they were done they were screaming at and calling each other names you don’t even want to think about.

Couples that do paddle together have learned what it truly means to be a team.

But then again, it depends on how long you want this relationship to last. Your choice. :slight_smile: or :frowning:

Hmmm…
I must say that there seems to be a pattern developing here. ha ha. I guess my real question now is if anyone has the experience with the smaller Hobie sports. Are they stable enough for some offshore fishing? Broke my back Wrestling in college many…many years ago so the lighter weight is a plus but does it beat you up in rougher water. I currently have a 13 foot single seat than weighs 62 pounds, stable but slow as molasses in winter time.