2-man tents

I found nothing in search, so I’ll ask. Are there any recommendations for sturdy, durable, 3-season, 2-man tents suitable for tripping? I’m not much on bells and whistles, just simple, dependable gear. Thanks.

yep
Kelty Traildome 2. I have had mine for a few years now, and I am very pleased with it.

Most 2 man tents though are too small for two normal men to sleep in and still look each other in the eye the next morning.

I use mine as a one man tent, plus however many women I can fit in it, which to date has been zero.

All th kidding aside, they are really nice, and about $170. Highly recommend it.

simplicity
I am not up on tent models but as you said, simple dependable gear. Look for a tent without plastic gizmos that can break and without them you would not be able to set up your tent. If all of the poles are the same size that is a bonus, too. Good luck.

Poke Around in Here:
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=8000&cat=4500029&cat=4500457&hist=cat%2C4500029%3ABackpacking+Tents%5Ecat%2C4500457%3A2-Person+Backpacking+Tents

I agree… a two man tent sleeps one very nicely. Two grown men in one is a little too cozy. Keep it simple.

Eureka Backcountry I . . .
. . . not too expensive (around $150), free standing, aluminum poles, short pack length, light. This will easily accomodate a good sized guy plus gear. There is also a Backcountry II, slightly larger.

Alps Mountaineering
Solid build and materials quality, low price, maximizes usable space and packs reasonably small.

http://tinyurl.com/2582289

REI half dome 2
Great tent, though I do not have any experience with the redesigned model. I have 3 REI tents, and love them all. In my opinion, tent is one of those areas where you don’t want to skimp. Get a quality tent with a good fly, you’ll be glad if you’re ever out in a rainstorm.

Alps Mountaineering

– Last Updated: Jun-09-10 5:14 AM EST –

Great quality, good price

Paul

I shopped around extensively and for the additional 7 ounces and hundreds of dollars less, Alps won hands down.

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight
( mine is 15 years old)

North Face Tadpole 23…just three years.

MSR Hubba Hubba. Lots of mesh for ventilation. Too cold for most of my trips.

The Clip just got old. I replaced with the Tadpole

Now what features do you need…Mesh? Full fly coverage…Mountaineering…most of our advice is worth poo unless we have an idea where you want to travel

If I tell you that I spent 70 days in the North Face last year, big deal. It might not be good for your seventy days if you are in the mountains or barrenlands.

Marmont Tents
I have had good results with Marmont Tents & Sierra Trading Post as a online retailer. Get on their EMAIL list, and they will send you e coupons up to 20-30% off the entire order. Get more and payless. Beware, the will send you an E coupon 3-5 times a week.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/322,88182_Marmot-Titan-Backpacking-Tent-2-Person-3-Season.html

it’s a 3 man
but to me, that’s really for 2. I really like my Sierra Designs Tengu 3. Big vestibule for stashing wet gear, and the fly is attached so it sets up easy and the tent is dry when setting up in the rain. Good tent for those of us that “pray for rain.”

My needs are simple
I have a four man tent by Coleman. It’s a huge 8 X 10 we got with the idea it would accommodate the family or grandkids. The problem is, neither the family or grandkids ever want to go anywhere. For canoe trips of a week or so, hauling the 8 X 10 would be ridiculous. So, by my self with room to throw the pack and room to situp brought me to a 2-man tent with about 4-ft. head clearance. It would be small and light, yet sturdy, but give me room to roll over or lean against the pack to read if rained in.

MSR. n/m

Another Vote for MSR
My Hubba Hubba has stood up well for three years of my 6-8 week per year constant use.

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight
For what you describe, I really like the clip flashlight. It’s a 2-man with a nice sized vestibule. Very lightweight, but sturdy.

Only drawback, in my mind, is that it’s not freestanding, so you need to be able to put stakes in the ground, or find some rocks to tie off too.

Do you need free-standing?

– Last Updated: Jun-07-10 8:08 AM EST –

The MITA guidelines for the islands in Maine ask that you use a free-standing tent, or at least used to. Just something to keep in mind before you buy.

You may need to go to a 2-3 person tent (not a 1-2 person) to get that height. We found that anyway. Agree, it is hugely important to have that space if you get stuck in it for a bit. And going to the higher end of a count in tents tends to require that people get along really, really well.

Also, pick up a ground cover for under the tent with a decent R-factor. Your back will thank you the next morning.

Mountain Hardwear
I bought the Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 but I haven’t tried it yet. Lots of head room, big mesh panels that can be zipped shut.

KP

wonder why because
if you are on a rock that freestanding can be freeflying.

Off to the ocean!

You still need to anchor a freestanding tent.

A divergence…

Not so much of one…
There are a couple of camp sites on the trail just in Muscongous Bay anchoring a tent would be very important, like the first couple after rounding Pemaquid Point heading east - for the paddler as well as the tent. :slight_smile:

I suspect that they want to reduce the strain on trees that are often in pretty shallow dirt. No big deal if one or two people do it, but many people over some seasons could create problem.

MSR all the way…
I’d stay away from the Mountain Hardware tents, they’ve been having problems with their poles, the material used in the Atlas poles is very prone to breaking.

The MSR Hubba Hubba is a great three season tent. For something with a little more wind protection, check out the MSR Mo’ Room series, nice big vestibule on that one.

REI has some good tents for a good value, like the Half Dome.