2 used Kayaks - which is the better boat

Dear Friendlyfire
-wish I was where you are…Tempests or Tsunami’s rarely appear for sale here in Florida, and are priced much higher down here. we have lots of kayakers here as well, but far fewer of those boats are ever turned loose of by their owners.

dear brawley :smiley:
yes, Michigan is a great place for touring/flatwater kayaking, with every imaginable make and model either being privately sold or at paddleshops. Rec, touring, fishing, seakayaks, surfskis, even a decent selection of ww boats.

We have a very strong paddling community too - clubs, five symposia, many demo days - so a lot of boats are constantly coming up for sale.

The marketplace is varied and great. Our particularly dreary economy, sadly, is a factor as well.

Seems like Florida (the coastal parts at least) would be as well, esp. for seakayaks and sit on tops…

c’mon up, I’ll find ya a boat '-) so far this season I’ve helped 9 people find theirs.

Florida’s a great place for kayaking
too, and there are lots of boats on the market. I have a fleet of 15 I use for my biz, but I rarely see used Tempests or Tsunamis for sale here unfortunately.

Sounds like your neck of the woods is a great spot for paddling, Next time I’m up there I’ll take you up on your offer!

Sorry Kocho…
Read your reply it too fast… (more… coffee…)

Thanks everyone
Thanks all for your tips - I’ve found this forum most helpful. I decided against the Perception due to its age and price. I checked out the Tsunami and it seemed great - was going to paddle it this weekend but seems the owner has already sold it - I’m disappointed but I guess it’s not meant to be!

Seems that the demo days are finished for the season - I was hoping to get a kayak in time to do some fall paddling but signs seem to be pointing towards waiting til the Spring. :frowning:

Why wait till spring ?
There are many used kayaks for sale right here on P-net.

You don’t have to get either of the ones you were looking at.

There is plenty of good paddling weather left. Get on out there and take advantage of it.

We only come this way once!

Jack L

No problem -:wink: (n/m)

A secret (shhh!)
Many outfitters are now beginning to sell off their rental fleets for the year. By October most will have sold. Prices are pretty reasonable and will only get “better” for the buyer as the winter approaches. One can find decent last or current year models this way.

Typically, if you shop around you should be able to beat an outfitter’s prices by a little if you buy from a private party, but many rental fleets go at very reasonable prices, especially a little later in the year. Of course, that means that you can’t buy right now (only a few boats go now, most go later)…

The outfitters will also usually let you demo the boat for free or rent it for a linger period so you can figure out if you like it or not.

kocho & JackL are right!
OP, you live in Connecticut. The further north, the sooner the demo sales and rental fleet sell offs begin.

Michigan (downstate) begin after Labor Day, and certainly after mid September. I’d think CT is right around there too.

Patience grasshopper. Early fall waters are warm, boats are plentiful. Get out & try a bunch. Don’t lock down too fast into 1 or 2 boats.