2004 Sawyer Loon Photos

Mick’s Loonie Discussions, part 1

Stability:

The Loon was a racing designed hull that was really beefed up and decked over to make an expedition boat.

As such it rode somewhere between a little too low and a LOT too low in the water. This slower the speed over longer distances and reduced or nullified primary stability of the hull. Under heavier loads it completely negated the primary and could greatly reduce the secondary stability.

Verlen Kruger told me more than once that if he had access to a Sea Wind when he did his big trips he never would have even considered the Loon do to lack of stability.

I paddled a Loon once. In fact it was Verlen’s 23,000 mile Loon! It was nice and easy paddling. The stability was fine … empty! I had no load at all other than myself, PFD, and paddle. It did not do sharp turns quite as fast as a Sea Wind as it’s stern was lower in the water. The primary and secondary stability felt like a Sea Wind fully, no, very fully loaded, yes, very fully.

Happy Paddl’n!

:^)

Mick

I have a sawyer #paddlers-place SAW01190F434. It is fiberglass interior with aluminum exterior. Budwieser logo .

It been in woods many years. I would like to know details of the serial #. It has some stress marks on the aluminum and a 3" cut. I would like any repair suggestions.
I’m cleaning it up now, as you can see in photo.
Thanks for your help.