2007 WS Pamlico 135T Hatch Cover

I have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 135T and the rubber hatch cover must have shrunk because for the life of me I can’t get it to fully seat over the hatch. Today the water was choppy and it started to leak. I just want to replace it. I thought it would be a common item but I can’t seem to find it???

What is the actual size? I measured 9 inches inside diameter. Or do I measure outside?

Can I use a generic 9 inch cover or does it have to be WS? I can’t seem to find a WS cover.

I saw on Amazon a 9 inch storage hatch with an attached storage sack? I thought this might be a nice upgrade? Any pros or cons to doing this? I assume I would need to actually cut my existing hatch lip out? Would I still be able to use a 9 inch or would I then need a 10 inch?

Lixada 9" Deck Plate Hatch Cover Kit with Storage Bag for Marine Inflatable Boat Kayak Rigging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F68H7GJ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_KFg3EbB273SRH

Jim

It doesn’t sound like you need to full kit with the rim, just a new hatch cover, unless there are issues with the rim itself. Have you tried using 303 on the hatch cover you have? It might just be some stiffness in it that treatment would help.

SeaLect hatch covers likely have a replacement for yours.

303?

SeaLect has 8"and 10"which is all I’ve been able to find anywhere for any brand but when I measure my hatch opening it is 9"… Does the 8" stretch to cover the 9" opening?

SeaLect also stated in their description that they are not recommended for rotomolded kayaks, which from the description I believe the Pamlico 135T is??

I find it odd that I can’t find any specifications from WS that state what size they consider their hatch to be or I just can’t find hatch cover replacement listed for a Pamlico 135T.

If I decided to go with a complete new hatch kit, do they make one that is a cooler? I see cooler inserts for the Orbix hatches in the newer WS kayaks but I don’t see any kits that offer this. Seems like a great idea that someone would try to replicate.

Jim

Call the folks at TopKayaker, they have a web page that seems to address the Palmico 135. http://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=619

This web page says this hatch cover is recommended for rotomolded. 303 is an aerosol protectant against UV damage etc for stuff like hatch covers. You can get it at any barely adequate shop that has kayaking stuff, though I don’t know about the big box stores. It is a basic part of hatch cover maintenance.

I have not ever tried to replace a hatch rim, just added sealant, and am particularly unknowledgable about the issues of doing so in a rotomolded hull. But I suspect it requires a fair amount of caution. I sea kayak so just have stuff in my day hatch. Recreational stuff like inserts with cooler functionality are outside of my use. I suspect you would find more input on that if you looked under the fishing area of these message boards.

If there is a non-rotomolded Pamlico out there I have never seen one.

Thanks I’ll check that out

A less expensive and time consuming option is to get a bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant spray and apply it to the hatch cover, following the directions. Your hatch cover didn’t shrink. It’s probably just lost all pliability from lack of maintenance.

Rookie is correct about treating the hatch cover being the first step. But if the thing has dried out to the point that it cannot stretch to its correct shape, it may have aged beyond a useful life. So treat it first then call TopKayaker if needed.

1 Like

Ok thank you

I also recommend TopKayaker. Use their Contact page https://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us to ask Tom Holtey directly. He is extremely knowledgeable and responds very quickly. Better than guessing. I’ve bought a number of hatch covers from him, some for boats long out of production.

1 Like

Even if the 303 doesn’t bring your current covers back to life, you’ll still need a supply so you can maintain the replacements and keep them from drying out. It will be $$ well spent.

OK I emailed Tom and am waiting to hear back. The 303 treatment came yesterday and I applied it to the hatch and the kayak. It just seemed to make it shiny and slippery but did nothing to help the hatch cover fit. I really don’t see how this stuff can make the cover stretch as much as it needs to, but I will use it to maintain the kayak going forward.

I decided to try boiling the hatch cover this morning to see if I could get it to stretch enough. I figured I had nothing to lose if I ruined it…

So I cleaned it really well and scraped off any crusty areas and put it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. I then immediately brought it outside and I was able to stretch it enough to get it to fully seat over the rim. I have it on now and will treat it a few times with the 303 treatment to see if I can get it to finally stretch back into shape. I am hoping this works.

As it is now, I can leave it on but I would never be able to use it on the water. I never really understood its purpose anyway though. It is just a hole in the top that goes into the open stern of the boat. There is no insert and because there is no bulkhead the stern is wide open and I could just as easily reach into the same area behind the rear seat. It really serves no purpose as far as I can see.

Anyway I should see in a few days if it stays the right size or if it shrinks back down.

Thanks for the help.

Jim