2019 Subaru Outback rack help

That’s nice! You still can’t beat wood for workability, strength and cost. I have a “next gen” of my PVC mod for a new car, and it’s now made of wood.

I live in Fort Myers and kayak from Bonita Springs to Punta Gorda. Check out www.calusablueway.com. It covers all the waterways along the west coast and around Pine Island. You can download or order maps that give you launch sites and different locations to paddle. Also “Paddles in Paradise” by Ed Higgins, is a paperback book on where to paddle around Punta Gorda. I met Ed and his wife paddling in Estero, great guy, good book and he belongs to a kayak club in Punta Gorda, which you should look into. Book is on Amazon or order on www.paddlesinparadise.com.
Rick

I’m insanely impressed - that looks awesome!

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations… I’m ordering both books right now!!

Great…
As for a kayak, I use a Wilderness Pungo 120 in CT only 49lbs, you might be able to get away with a 10ft version, in FL I just got a used Wilderness Pungo Ultra-lite (12ft) 2015 at only 39lbs! There are likely shops in Punta Gorda, got mine from Estero Outfitters, great guys run it Jeff and Josh, owners, have both new and used. I am 6’2" 195lbs so really need the 12ft versions, but again at 5’2" 10ft may work and that would reduce the weight of the kayak likely by 6 to 8 lbs. Can’t say enough about Wilderness Systems kayaks, but they are more expensive, so something like Perception Kayaks might work and a bit cheaper. Depends on how much you want to kayak. Sun Dolphin and alike are cheaper, lighter and generally a basic kayak. Might want to rent some first before you buy.

Nice saddles, but I definitely do not recommend those rubber tiedowns. They have a nasty tendency to degrade with UV exposure and break, often with little outward sign of failure. I used to use these on my work truck and after having several break replaced them with nylon cam straps. Not only adjustable, but stronger and longer lasting. Nylon straps will show signs of wear long before they actually fail.

For extra security would also recommend wrapping the straps around the roof rails.

Long distance they get bow lined and an additional nylon strap around the rails. I don’t think that particular rubber has seen 24 hours of UV yet but I do check for cracks when I load up. Supposed to be sunny and 40 today…

Trailex makes a great lightweight trailer for kayaks and canoe’s. 125lb aluminum trailer pulls with ease no bouncing or wobble, even empty. Doubles as a dolly. Many configurations for however many you are hauling. Trailex.com. Check out Boat Owners World in Canada (Good people!) to order online and pick up at factory for discount and tax free.

It appears you already have a trailer hitch on your outback. Purchase a truck extender, 4-5 ’
on Amazon or a dealer for about $50.00. This will enable you to slide kayak straight into the outback, very little lifting required. Great for short hauls. You can position the hatchback on the kayak with bungee cord and a towel. Be sure to keep windows open while driving to eliminate carbon monoxide. This has worked very well for me for years.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I ended up ordering the Yakima Showdown that @rstevens15 mentioned above, with Rhino Rack saddles… all of which will work on my factory crossbars. I also found a good deal on a blemished Ocean Kayak Caper online (after watching FB Marketplace for a few weeks and not really seeing much that fit my needs/wishes) and ordered a new/better paddle, so now I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of all my purchases so I can get out there and enjoy all of the great paddles I’m reading about in the book that @Rick recommended!!

You guys are awesome!

1 Like

I have a 2015 Outback and I can fit my Malibu 9.5 kayak inside with door closed. Assuming other kayaks of similar length would also fit. Makes for easy load in/out.

Let’s think through using your kayak and vehicle…at the end of a paddle your kayak is most likely wet, sandy, muddy or at least one of the three. Why subject the inside of your vehicle to that on a regular basis? A rack is highly recommended.

Hi there!

I know that it’s been awhile since this conversation, but…
I just purchased the yakima showboat for my 2019 Outback and I’ve been struggling a bit to get it installed. I too have the factory crossbars. I had read a recommendation to flip the brackets 180 degrees from how they are shown in the instructions, but I still didn’t feel like they got a good solid hold on the crossbars. I wanted to see how it turned out for you? Were you able to use it a bunch over the summer? Any help or insight would be very much appreciated! I too am a solo paddler and looking for ways to get my kayak around without destroying my relatively new car!

thanks!
-R

Yep, I’ve used the showboat with rhino rack saddles multiple times on both short and longer drives with no problems! I installed the showboat directly on the factory crossbars and I don’t remember having to turn them or do anything strange to get them to hold well.

Thanks for getting back to me! I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Well then…I’m going to say I need to go back out to the garage and give the install another try. I had really high hopes for the showboat saving me from all the troubles you had listed in your messages. I’ll give it another shot.

Another question since we have the same car…what do you do about bow and stern tie downs? Or, is your kayak short enough to not need them? I have a 12’

thank you again!
-R

I have a 2016 Crosstrek. I use these for the bow:

Seattle Sports Hood Loops | REI Co-op

And these for the stern:

Seattle Sports Quick Loops - Pair | REI Co-op

Other brands and stores have very similar items.

I have a little loop strap that fits under my hood (similar to what @raosborne posted above for the stern) and I then I loop a strap through my trailer hitch.

Thank you so much! It’s always so helpful to be able to bounce thoughts off someone in the same boat (haha, great pun :slight_smile: )