2024 13-year Cicada

Thanks, I was aware of that, just reporting. We will still have annual cicadas, thought they have not appeared yet either.

Wow! I like their sound, but all quiet on the home front except for wonderful bird chatter. No frog songs either. I guess they’re still snuggled up somewhere to avoid the frost warnings of late.

1 Like

Here is a great short video on them:

Amazing Cicada Life Cycle | Sir David Attenborough’s Life In the Undergrowth | BBC (youtube.com)

1 Like

And a good article about some of the ecosystem effects from the emergence.

Cicadas 2024: Brood XIX and XIII will impact our ecosystems for years to come - Vox

1 Like

I have been unable to post for several days as I could not log in, but now the site suddenly allowed me to do so. Seems like this web site has been having “technical difficulties”.

Well, the decibel levels seem to be decreasing and the bodies of dying and dead cicadas are increasingly apparent on the ground. I for one will miss them. At their peak you would see them flying about in numbers. We have had several fly into the house when we open a door to go outside. This is the fourth emergence I have experienced since living here. Truely a wonder of nature!

Thanks, Greg for posting those links. They are truly a boon to animal life and their remains a great nutrient source to fertilize the soil.

I’m on the edge here in central NC. I was doing business in the next county east of me and heard this weird sound. I’m sure it was the cicadas. I hope they don’t pop up screaming here at the house.

I’ve been booted off the site for a good while. I wondered if I was being reprimanded for not being PC.

LOL! String thought the same thing. Since I was already having to deal with this error message about every other time I clicked on a topic I figured it was a problem with this site.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 081659