2nd kayak

Hi All,

Looking to get another Kayak for just me…

Something that handles well and good for Long Island sound. Also nothing to heavy or too long. I was looking at Dagger any other suggestions???

Happy paddling

Dawn

Meridian SKS
If you are thinking Dagger, I would recommend the Meridian SKS in Kevlar. Sweet boat that handles well. 16’ x 22". Dagger stopped making them but there are quite a few around so you might be able to find a deal on a used one.

second kayak
Long Island sound is pretty big water . I was out there just once in a kayak,

and had a tough time for a while . It was out by Shelter Island , there is a

tidal rip between two islands , it almost got me .In any event , I would use

at least a 17 foot boat out there .I am trying to sell a 17 foot 10 in

Nigel Foster Shadow . Its a large persons boat yet might be good for

a female as well . John

Many, many boats

– Last Updated: Jun-15-06 11:37 AM EST –

There are many, many sea kayaks that would work for you.

Your question is way too broad!

Do you have a budget? How much do you weigh? How tall are you? How much experience do you have?

What boats have you paddled? What boats have you liked? Have you looked at any boats?

For the sound, a sea kayak is approproate. Start by looking at boats that are about 16-17 feet long and about 22 inches wide.

Lots of people paddle the sound in 16 foot long kayaks (myself included).

2nd kayak
Well I am looking to spend no more than 600

I have a perception sundance kayak now a 15ft and it weighs about 78 pounds. I want a kayak I can pick up and put on my roof racks. I’m 5 7’

and about 165lbs pretty strong for a lady I was thinking 45 to 50lbs max and no more than 11ft long.

another thought
Another thought , Dagger’s are well made boats , I had a new “Sitka”,

a 17 10 in kevlar kayak out in the sound . The only problem with a

composite boat are the beach landings . They can be very rocky and

if you do a surf launch , it can do wonders to the gel coat ect.

A lighter plastic boat might be good .They don’t cost as much and

are pretty tough . The Meridian sks is a nice boat but I think

too small and a little fragile.

why so short?
Why do you want such a short boat for such big water?

I was going to suggest a Hurricane AquaSports Tracer 165 to you as being light, sleek, and presumably capable. But, even those run $1400. The Hurricane Santee 116 almost meets your specs, at just 36lbs and 11.5’, and about $750-$800 if you shop right. I’ve got one, and it’s just about my favorite boat, but it’s rec boat, and there’s no way I’d put it on a large sound. (Except, maybe around the edges on a calm day.)

2nd Kayak
Thanks for the suggestions I guess I just will have to rent a few and see which one is the best for me…

That helps
By mentioning the sound, most of the advice you are going to get will be to look at sea kayaks. A sea kayak, basically, is about 16-17 feet long and about 22 inches wide.

If you are only interested in short trips in very protected areas of the sound, then a boat of the length you’ve mentioned would be OK.

I’d suggest reading the stuff in the “GuideLines” link on this site to get some background.

Also, go to a local paddling store and see what boats they have.

At $600, if you are interested in sea kayaks, you are looking at plastic and used (nothing wrong with that).

Doesn’t really matter
Just go out and buy something–whatev.

Now…when you get to your 4th and 5th boats, then you want to do some research and demos and figure out what you really want.

that many kayaks
Really?? that many I was only thinking two.

No
I guess krousmon has a lot of money!

One can spend too much time demoing boats. There is some point where you’ll learn more owning any reasonable boat that you use regularly rather than going through the annoyance of demoing.

Getting some experience will increase the chance that you’ll get a boat that you’ll keep for a while. (Personally, I’m not really into “boat churn” and it’s generally easy to avoid anyway)

Renting a few times (different boats) is a good idea. Include a “real” sea kayak in your demos and see how you like it.

2nd kayak
So what is considered a real sea kayak…

Thanks.

See my earlier post

– Last Updated: Jun-16-06 3:47 PM EST –

Basically, a boat that is 16-17 feet long and about 21-24 inches wide. Any boat like this will be fine to try.

If you are renting, then you'll be restricted to those boats that are available.

Look at the Atlantic Kayak Tours website.

One example is an NDK Romany. Another is the Valley Avocet (available in plastic and composite). Both of these are 16 feet long. The Dagger Meridian is another example (a nice boat but no longer made and only in composite). Or the Perception Eclipse and Shadow.

Look at the reviews on this site for boats about this length 16-18 feet for many, many examples.

I did not mention specific boats because there are many excellent boats. With your budget, if you are interested in a real sea kayak, you'd be looking at a used boat (nothing wrong with that) and it might be better to choose from what is available versus looking for a specific model.

LI Dealers
I don’t know much about LI dealers. The few I have visited have some very nice boats, but the staff weren’t too knowlegable. I think you might find some good advice across the sound in CT. You might contact Michele Sorensen at http://kayak-adventure.net I have not met her and do not have any first hand experience with the business, but my sister has taken some lessons from her.

~wetzool

And Make Sure…
they’re all Prijons… :smiley:

sing

Used too have a lot of money