303 Dry-Suit Seals before use???

Dry-Suit care question… I just got my first Dry-Suit. I’ve read you should 303 the seals for better longevity. Should I 303 them now before I use it or after it’s been used each day or once in a while?

-l2t

Congrats on the purchase! I have a Kokatat drysuit, so follow their instructions:

"Latex gaskets need to be treated every 4–6 weeks to prevent drying and cracking.
Kokatat recommends 303 Protectant. "

I recall applying 303 when I first got the suit. Also use it before storing the suit in my closet over winter.

Yes, it’s a good idea and has the side benefit of making it easier to put on and take off.

Avoid overspray beyond the gasket itself. It’s better to have a cloth that you spray it on then wipe the gaskets with this. I typically put it on heavy, let it stand for a minute or two, then wipe most of the excess.

Your zipper is also a very important thing to maintain properly. I clean mine with a toothbrush occasionally and lubricate with beeswax. There are lots of zipper products out there to choose from. I’ve used beeswax from the start simply because that’s what I had sitting around. It’s worked well for me, but perhaps makes things a bit stiffer in the cold than is preferable.

Another way to extend the life of your seals is to reduce the strain on them when donning and doffing the suit. The best way to do this is to coat the inside of the seals with unscented talc. I bought an inexpensive can of “tire talc” years ago and it lasts a long time (it’s used on truck tires with tubes in them). You can also get unscented talc at most pharmacies and possibly at natural food stores. Note that common “baby powder” contains scents and oils that may damage seals, so I don’t recommend it.

A dry suit with talc on the seals slides on and off so easily you won’t believe it!

They say to much 303 makes gaskets soft. Once a month.

@bnystrom said:
Another way to extend the life of your seals is to reduce the strain on them when donning and doffing the suit. The best way to do this is to coat the inside of the seals with unscented talc.

It is not just to reduce strain. The talc does something chemically to the gaskets to preserve them.

This can easily be seen on drysuits which are stored for years without being used. If you don’t use talc, the gaskets will deteriorate over time, even though there is no strain on them. If you use talc regularly, they will last.

I have been told that divers only use talc to preserve the latex seals, never 303. I don’t know if that is true.