303 protectant: Dilute it?

I’ve never used this stuff. But I want to protect my gear (royalex canoe, plastic kayak, PFD, drybags) from the UV’s. The (catalog) retailer I bought it from supplied directions for PFD’s: after washing dip in 303 solution and hang in shade. The recommended solution is 1 cup 303 in 1 gallon water. That seems like an awfully diluted mix.

Is 303 so effective that it can be diluted this much and still do the job? I’m looking to save $ (I am a cheapskate) but also save the gear.

Would I use this watered-down solution on the boats, too?

Those of you that use this stuff, how do you use it? Straight from bottle or diluted?

Thanks,

-Joel

I’ll make a guess
They are saying to “dip” the PFD in 303? I’d say it makes sense to dilute it for something like that. How much chemical junk do you want soaked up in the fabric? When you spray it on your hull, you wipe it around full-strength, but it is not really absorbed or soaked in to make a mess of things. That’s my take on it. Maybe someone else knows better. Personally, I’ve never even thought about trying to preserve my PFDs with any sort of chemical treatment, though I might want to wash them someday if they ever get too yucky on the inside (there’s no automatic rinsing of the PFD when I go out in my boats. You kayakers might have cleaner PFDs than folks like me).

Is great for use on fiberglass. I have used it for years on my trailer(28.5 ft) and other plastic parts.Soaking stuff in a solution that runs around 50.00 a gallon would make too costly.The biggest problem I have is spraying on too much.I’d bet 1 cup for a soaking would be plenty.

Never heard of diluting it
But then again I’ve only used it on automotive applications, full strength. It is far superior to Armor-All: no vinyl fogging, no eventual drying out of the treated materials.

Maybe they suggest diluting it on the PFD because the nylon might get too slippery with full strength 303?

More than aerospace protectant
303 makes several other products besides the aerospace protectant used on boats.

The Fabric Guard seems a better choice for a PFD.

CRCK, An outfitter I love

– Last Updated: May-02-04 11:50 AM EST –

uses regular old 303 about that way (heavily diluted)in their PFD and wetsuit cleaning and treatment regemine. They use it in the rince barrel. They are no fools. You have never seen Mti vests look so good for so long. If spraying on an impermeable surface like gel coat can make a difference, the you do not need much on fabric that can wet out.

With PFDs and other gear improving so
fast, why bother? You’ll want new, up-to-date gear in three years or so.

For my open canoe float bags, I just spray 303 on the area exposed to the sun.

Why not just use the new 303 which…
…is made for fabrics?

cheers,

JackL

i was wondering what 303 dose to water
– as in oceans, lakes, rivers?

Anybody know?

Non toxic, bio degradeable

– Last Updated: May-02-04 7:12 PM EST –

though I try not to waste anything wholesale. Once the stuff has dried on my boat and gotten buffed, I doubt much of it gets into the water I paddle in. Probably, when my shop rags go throught the washer much more gets released, but that goes into my septic system. If it is biodegradeable then that should give it the opportunity to degrade. When used correctly I think it has marginal impact compared to the extended life it gives materials. Even walden boats (made with recycled plastic) pollute in some way when they are manufactured, forget about gel coat and such. Preserving a boat with minimal added polution is an environmental positive. For those who care, I bet eddyline makes some of the lowest impact composite boats. Also, any boat that avoids gelcoat is probably lower impact.