3M Marine Protective Wax... Anyone

tried it? The guy who made my new composite boat says to use a UV protectant wax rather than 303. This 3M product is the most promising candidate I’ve found so far. I like wax. It has a good record for staying on in water, and it slides nice.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3895&familyName=3M+Marine+Protective+Liquid+Wax

I use it on a sailboat but
I like Aurora better, but you can’t get it at K-Mart, etc like 3M, you order it from their web site. They make a non-skid deck wax, I’m gonna use that on the yak topside when I ever get time to order another can. I think the name is “Sure Step”.

Thanks, I’ll google around for Aurora.

3M Marine Wax
Yes, I use 3M Marine Wax on my Merlin II black/gold composite. It seems to be a very hard wax with a lot of staying power after being buffed. Sure makes it pretty and slick. It claims to offer excellent UV protection, but my Merlin is too new for me verify that. I’ve long used 303 on my Royalex boats, but Marine Wax seems a better choice for hard surfaced composites or anything with a gelcoat, i.e., just like automobiles and motorboats.

HB

Thanks,
I’ll show this to “the Bride”

She is the slave who keeps the boats well protected.

Up until now she has been using 303.

If it was up to me they would just slowly fade away and I would have a good excuse to buy a new boat!

cheers,

JackL

waxing your boat
I’m a little confused, I thought the 303 was a spray that you used on things like the rubber hatch covers and that for wax, I just use a really good car wax on the rest of my boat. I’ve never used 303 on anything but the rubber stuff. Did I get the wrong info on this stuff??? And on what kind of wax to use on my boat???

If it is the Scotchgard 3M…
…then I’ve used it. Seems to work really nice; the protection seems to last quite well. I would at least put a coat or two of this on first, and THEN maybe do quickie applications of another uv protectant product. I am rather frustrated in using the products like 303 or Armorall; there seems to be quite a bit of controversy on this site as to which is best, how they perform, and even what potential damage they may cause. I used up some older Armor-all upon the advice of a member on two rather expensive boats only to have someone say much later that it may actually do more harm than good and ruin the hatch covers and God knows what else. I think now I would use a good marine wax on the composite surfaces and maybe 303 or some other popular brand name anti-UV on the hatch covers, or maybe just not treat the hatch covers…they are not cheap to replace, but certianly not as much to replace as a boat! (maybe depends on the condition of the boat!)

You’re doing the right thing.
What some of us are concerned about is that wax seems better for a composite hull, but we want the best UV protection we can get in a wax. Premium car waxes should provide some UV protection.

Aluminum boats should be waxed. Royalex boats are covered with a vinyl skin, and vinyl has rather good UV resistance, though in the long run added UV protection can keep the vinyl skin looking fresh and help it not chalk.

Most composite boats have a gelcoat surface which intercepts and absorbs UV. Waxing or 303 use can keep the gelcoat from fading in color or chalking.

A small proportion of composite boats have no gelcoat, but may have an epoxy paint skin or just exposed resin. This can allow UV to damage the resin and fabric at the hull surface. Using 303, McNett, or a wax with UV protection is especially important for such boats. I have four such boats, hence my interest in waxes.

If I tried to wax my boats…
…they’d spit at me! They don’t like to bathe, either. :wink: