61 year old male wants to get into Kayak Racing

He’s in South Carolina. I didn’t send any NY races. What determines it is number of entrants. My comments are from my experience in Paddle Guru race…those sent.

If Mark N comments he can tell better what is in the Florida market.

I know all of that, It was just a comment as point of interest for the vernacular that may be encountered along the way in the way age groups are identified

Hey Jeff. I’m 3 years older than you and do a lot of paddling. I also have a modest regular exercise routine. I think that one great way for you get started immediately is to set aside a regular time for exercise each week. You might start with cardio exercise on machines at some exercise facility (I go to the local YMCA) or do some core exercises at home (lots of info and YouTube videos online). Strengthening your core makes you a stronger paddler with better endurance and also helps you avoid back injury or pain.

You can always change your exercise routine but I think it’s just important to have one.

Thanks Tom! Yeah I’ve started exercising. Lifting weights and riding a stationary bike for now. I used to work out with a medicine ball about 10 years ago. But like a dummy I stopped and now I’m paying the price.

1 Like

I really appreciate this darkstar!

1 Like

Add a short yoga routine like Erin Motz 30 day challenge to your routine. It’ll allow you to walk about after the finish and not impersonate a Groucho Marx gait. Lots of good carryover to everyday fitness to boot.

Pick a local/regional 3-10mile race for Sept/Oct. and write it on your calendar. That’s your hard deadline.

Have fun and paddle on!

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

3 Likes

Thanks for the link to the video! I plan to choose a race to shoot for. I am setting some fitness goals first and when I see I have reached the goal I set, then I will choose a race. The race I choose will be far enough in the future to allow me to get in better shape. From all my reading and viewing videos, I have more to learn than I first thought.

My wife shot an arrow through my heart the other day. She says I need to get in swimming shape first. :frowning:

Thanks for the advice.

3 Likes

You have a wise spouse

LOL! :rofl:

Tell your wife an old kayaking adage - We’re all between swims.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: www.the-river-connection.us]
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

1 Like

That old adage presumes you can swim!

1 Like

Check out the ’ Carolina cup’ end of April, and again in Nov. Even if you do not race this spring go check it out meet the racers ask questions, see what rigs people have. I am 57 and just started in competition a couple years ago. I will never be pro but I am getting better. Check out local shops and see what equipment is available. Day by day we get better and better.

Welcome to the site. I live in the middle of SC. You might want to start paddling some. If done right it will strengthen your core muscles. I have paddled with the Greenville group in the past. There are a couple of instructors there that could give kayak paddling lessons. I’m not a racer but do my share of paddling both kayaks and canoes. SC has a wide variety of paddling venues from white water, rivers, swamps, lakes in the foothills, piedmont, and coastal plain, as well as coastal marshes and ocean.

Could you expand on this a little? what are the +s and -s?

Go for it!!!

Surfskis are just fancy sit-on-top kayaks, except they are long and skinny and made to go fast on ocean swells. They’ve been adapted to inland flat water fitness/racing paddling. Your legs are exposed to to elements and usually they have self-bailing drains in the bottom so if waves come into the cockpit or if you flip over and remounted you just have to paddle fast for a little bit and the cockpit will drain itself. A decked kayak is just how it sounds. It has a full upper deck and your legs are protected from the sun & elements and these can be skirted for cold weather paddling and Fall/Winter training without the need for a full dry suit. There are a few USA-designed and built decked kayaks designed specifically for racing and fitness paddling. Each has its time and place and application.

1 Like

Wrist in shape. :laughing: 70