6'2" 190 lbs - which boat

Hi, and sorry for the dumb question, just couldn’t find any recommendations for taller/lighter guys:

I am going to start looking at boats in the next couple of weeks, and just wanted to know what I should be looking at. I haven’t kayaked in about 3 years, but am getting a new job which will let me get out in the 10,000 islands as much as I want!

So, realizing that I will take day trips in as many as it takes until I find the right boat - what would you guys recommend based on size alone? I want a nice yak that will give me capapility to grow into, (would like to avoid buying another one in a couple of years) Probably no more than 4 day trips, just because I do have to work sometime!

Poly/kevlar/glass = whichever. Appreciate any help!

“On size alone"
6’2”/190lbs shouldn’t be that hard to fit, many manufacturers are making both high and low volume boats specifically to fit a range of paddlers. Also, tall & skinny isn’t as much a problem as tall and big. If you were 6’2" and 320lbs, it would be harder to fit you in a boat. But skinny guys can always pad out their cockpit.

The big thing for tall skinny folk is leg room. You’ve got options there. Don’t assume you need to use the foot braces: you can remove the foot braces altogether and pad out the bulkhead as much or as little as you need. Also, if the boat feels great but just a bit cramped, some builders offer custom bulkhead placement.

The bottom line is, you could fit in anything from an Epic to a Chatham. Your size isn’t as big an impediment as you seem to think. So it’s hard to say look at (blank), with your size being the only criteria.

More Info Would Help

– Last Updated: Apr-22-05 6:08 AM EST –

"10,000 Islands" - is that St. Lawrence waterway. Lots of big boats and wakes. How much fetch for waves to generate, current, etc.

What kind of boat did you paddle before and what are you skills with strokes, braces, rolls, sculling, etc.

What is your price range? $1000 will get you a near new ploy tour boat. $1500 will get you into a good shape used composite boat. $2000 plus will be a brand new composite.

Did you factor in the cost of assessories in your budget? A good paddle ($200 plus) makes paddling much pleasant than a "club" with blades on each end, especially on longer trips.

Take all suggestions that interest you and demo before buying. There are personal preferences involved, e.g. tracking and speed vs maneuverability/playfulness in conditions.

sing

Boreal Design
has a good line of 'yaks which might fit your need. I have the “I-Boat” and am very pleased with it but their 13 to 16 feet craft are great too. And I still have my OT 139 Adventure XL which is a very good day tripper.

Good luck on your selection and as Sing as said don’t forget to factor in your necessity accessories: PDF, paddles, throw bag, booties/shoes, paddle jacket/pants, etc., etc.

SYOW

that’s just about my size…
…you’ll find plenty of boats that will fit, but in most, you will wish the foot-peg track was just a little longer or further forward. Big feet can also be a big problem in yaks. You mentioned not wanting to have to buy another boat for a while, but if you buy used to start off, this should not be a concern. Many of us no longer have our first boat. Always try before you buy (no less than an hour or two). A lot of outfitters are having demo days this time of year. Good luck.

QCC are on sale now (aren’t they
always?)and they have one to fit everyone.

kayak recommendations
There are many great choices and as I am about your size, I have a full garage to prove it!! But we’re selling off our longer boats as our new Swift Saranac 14.6 does everything we could ask for day trips. Ours is glass but they are coming out with a Trylon version like my wife’s Hurricane which should make the price very attractive. The dealer told me that Hurricane is actually building the thermo-formed Swifts which is a plus since they seem to have this way of building kayaks down pat. Only other advice is to watch the weight of the boat and get as light as possible-you won’t regret that everytime you car top to explore a new area.

ALSO CONSIDER SOT IF YOU’RE 10,000 IS.-

– Last Updated: Apr-22-05 10:06 PM EST –

bound. It IS warm down here, y'know! SOTs are fine Florida boats, and now there are several that will easily run with SINKs, and also give your legs room to stretch, and carry gear as well.

But don't -DO NOT -get your hopes up about a single boat...

There's just too many of us with too many stories and too many boats that will give lie to the thought of solely "one boat". We -Sally & I, that is -don't have a garage, so WE can't have a "garage full of them..." But wanna see what "one boat" actually looks like? Don't forget, this is from a couple of fairly CASUAL paddlers...

http://www.topkayaker.net/CGI-BIN/yakalbum/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=Misc.%20Member%20Photos;photo_width=auto;photo_height=auto

Copy it all down, don't click on it -after you get there, click on the upper right hand photo...

Yeah, that's OUR "1 boat"..., LOL!

Back to SOTs. The Kaskasi series of SOTs (not skis) are 3 fine glass designs for you to consider. They are the Dorado, the Pelican, and the Skua. The Skua is, I believe, 22-1/2" X 17'-4" -big for most non-ski SOTs. It works well with a wing, is glass, and is available from Bruce in Boca.

See also:
http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org/superyaks2/ultimatesuperyaks2.html

You can flip forward & back to see other models...

So DO think about an SOT -perhaps the Skua -to, here in Florida, and over there on the SW Florida Coast, to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

thanks for the advice!
sing - no, 10,000 islands are down south of Marco, not St. Lawrence waterway. Relatively no traffic, and almost always flat seas to light light chop where I will be going. I’ve never really considered a SOT, but I guess it is a viable option. I was always figuring on testing out prospects for atleast a couple of hours - glad to hear that I will be able to fit in more boats then I had assumed - that means more free time on the water! Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ll keep you guys updated and let you know what I settle on!