A beautiful evening.

We had a few inches of snow on the ground this morning. Very pretty to we snow deprived southerners.
We threw some black oil sunflower seeds on the snow for the ground feeding birds and have had a crowd there all day.
At sundown, the sun popped out and illuminated the snow covered trees. Wow!
Observing this from inside isn’t ideal, but I’ll take it.

Isn’t the landscape beautiful dressed in sparkles?

No snow here. Just a meteor, sonic boom, and minor earthquake.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/17/watch-a-meteor-explode-over-michigan-causing-loud-boom-and-brilliant-flash-of-light/

Think I’ll buy some bird seed today and see what shows up. I thought I lived in the South but we got almost 9 inches here in central NC yesterday. Hope you can get out and play pain-free very soon.

Is it wrong that I’d love to see a hawk or owl kill and eat a damned ol’ starling in my yard?

@Rex said:
Think I’ll buy some bird seed today and see what shows up. I thought I lived in the South but we got almost 9 inches here in central NC yesterday. Hope you can get out and play pain-free very soon.

Is it wrong that I’d love to see a hawk or owl kill and eat a damned ol’ starling in my yard?

Starlings are fair game. We had a huge pyracantha bush when I was a kid that was owned by mockingbirds. My Dad , the game warden, loved those mockingbirds.
One day a flock of starlings landed on the bush and the residents were doing their best to get rid of them.
Dad got his shotgun and more than evened the fight. There were dead and wounded starlings all over the yard, in a suburban neighborhood. They are varmints.

We’ve had 2 hawk attacks in 2 days on one of our bird feeders; I feel guilty like I am setting a trap for the birdies. The director of our local nature center said that Hawks usually hang around for a few days and then move on. Spring will bring lots of baby bunnies for all the local predators.

Hawks and owls are pretty rare. Robins and doves and sparrows and finches and starlings… are plentiful.

Our yard is covered with Robin’s right now. I’m sure they are feasting on earth worms that the melting snow has brought to the surface and hopefully on on some less beneficial larva.